VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am new to this fantastic forum. Excuse my English, I'm from Spain and I speak it no good.
I have a 2000 NW 1.6 gasoline. I have a problem and after reviewing your great forum I think it may be due to the fuel pump relay.

I need to get to it and check it out. I know it is located under the the left side of the instrument panel. I have removed 3 screws that hold a plastic cover, but I don't know how to continue. I attach a photo. Please, could you tell me how I get to that relay?
Glasses White Automotive lighting Vision care Automotive design
Glasses White Automotive lighting Vision care Automotive design

Thanks in advance and greetings.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts

Under the panel; you will se a fuse box and relays. Typically, the #109 is the fuel pump relay; i don’t know, if the 1.6L is the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Under the panel; you will se a fuse box and relays. Typically, the #109 is the fuel pump relay; i don’t know, if the 1.6L is the same?

Thank you very much for the answer, but how can I get to that panel? Do I have to remove the entire plastic cap?
I have removed 3 screws, but the cover does not come off and I cannot see the panel.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I am new to this fantastic forum. Excuse my English, I'm from Spain and I speak it no good. I have a 2000 NW 1.6 gasoline. I have a problem and after reviewing your great forum I think it may be due to the fuel pump relay. I need to get to it and check it out. I know it is located under the the left side of the instrument panel. I have removed 3 screws that hold a plastic cover, but I don't know how to continue. I attach a photo. Please, could you tell me how I get to that relay? View attachment 255623 View attachment 255623 Thanks in advance and greetings.
There are 2 screws inside the fuse box!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I am new to this fantastic forum. Excuse my English, I'm from Spain and I speak it no good.
I have a 2000 NW 1.6 gasoline. I have a problem and after reviewing your great forum I think it may be due to the fuel pump relay.

I need to get to it and check it out. I know it is located under the the left side of the instrument panel. I have removed 3 screws that hold a plastic cover, but I don't know how to continue. I attach a photo. Please, could you tell me how I get to that relay?
View attachment 255623 View attachment 255623
There are 2 screws inside the fuse box!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I managed to get to the relay. The two large contacts were slightly blackened (photo attached). The reference is 1 J0 906 383 with 8 poles... I can't find it to buy it... now they come with 7 poles... do you know if I can put the one with 7 poles? Thanks in advance.
Food Gas Wood Tableware Staple food

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
Have you tried cleaning it? I had a bad 409 relay; i used electrical cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, scrubbed everything with a old tooth-brush and scotchbrite pad. I polished the contact point; by removing the contacts and then put everything back together. Then, it worked fine; i used it and it was a temporary fix; until, my new one showed up, as i had to order it. I bought a oem VW relay; which is by the brand Stribel.

Some have found cracked solder joints on the circuit board, making the contacts terminals loose, caused a intermittent electrical problem and reflowing the solder joints, can sometimes fix that issue.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks. I have cleaned the large contacts, which were blackened. I wanted to go over the soldering, but I didn't dare, since the board is small and I can do it wrong.
I have put it in the car and it has worked fine for 2 days, but yesterday it stopped again, although it started soon. It seems that the problem is when the relay gets hot.
I'm going to try to clean it again and try to contact VW to check if the 7-pin relay is compatible.
Thank you very much for your help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Buy a new relay from the dealer, ... There is a reason why that relay is burnt...I found out that Volkswagen doesn't like aftermarket parts... Your 1st choice should be Bosh parts only... You will have better luck with those...You might want to change the fuel pump also ... It's highly likely that's why your relay is burnt...it's not that difficult, I done mine... It was easier than I thought...
Good luck!

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
The relays for VW are typically supplied by the oem Stribel. If you try cleaning the old relay again; be sure to clean the contacts; that move, this is the part that has the braided copper wire without insulation going to it. The contact lever will unhook and can be free from the relay; this will give you full access to the contacts. Clean and polish the contacts until they shine. Then clean everything with electrical cleaner or isopropyl alcohol, scrub everything to make it perfectly clean; let it dry or blow off with compressed air.

Reassembly and make sure, to work the contact lever; to assure it works fine and moves freely. Once, i did that, my relay worked fine; as a temporary fix, until I replaced it with a brand new one, i had to special order.

I have used crc qd electrical cleaner and for sticky electrical switches Deoxit or the QD electrical lube with excellent results.

·
Registered
18,591 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts