VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all new TDI owner here.

I am not a mechanic and not super mechanically inclined so basically I just want to make sure I'm not getting screwed.

I have a 03 TDI beetle 1.9L

Not to long ago it stopped running, would crank but not turn over. Took it in was told it was the fuel pump. Was quoted a price of $700. A week went by no car so I call. He tells me that when they went to replace the pump it was not under the backseat like they typically are. He tells me that apparently my model is a transition model. The fuel pump is in the front. He tells me that the part alone is 3400. He says that luckily he found a used one for like 600 and the total is somewhere around 1200.

So bottom line has anyone heard of this? How many hours of labor is a fuel pump? He looks like hes charging about 4 or 5 hours plus incidentals. Have yall heard of a transition model with sky high prices on the parts? Need your help...don,t let me get screwed!

Also if anyone knows a good TDI mechanic in San Antonio please message me his name.

Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,212 Posts
Sounds like he doesn't know TDIs. They don't have a fuel pump under the back like a gasoline car. The "fuel pump" is the injection pump, which yes, is in the front. I don't know where he's getting that its $3400. That's ridiculous.

Also, why did he say it was the pump? Injection pumps can be a problem, but I have seen way too many cases of mechanics just saying its the issue when its not because they don't know how to troubleshoot a TDI. Did he scan for codes?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like he doesn't know TDIs. They don't have a fuel pump under the back like a gasoline car. The "fuel pump" is the injection pump, which yes, is in the front. I don't know where he's getting that its $3400. That's ridiculous.

Also, why did he say it was the pump? Injection pumps can be a problem, but I have seen way too many cases of mechanics just saying its the issue when its not because they don't know how to troubleshoot a TDI. Did he scan for codes?
Yes he did. He said something about torque converter code and I don't remember what else. Hes had it for 2.5 weeks already.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Smiley is absolutely correct. There is no fuel pump under the back seat, it is called an injection pump and you must loosen the timing belt to replace it. $600 doesn't sound bad for a used pump. Though he probably got it from a junkyard for $150. Is it a 10 millimeter pump or an 11mm pump. If your car is an automatic (bummer) it has an 11mm pump, if you have the 5spd (yeah) you have a 10mm pump. While an 11mm pump is considered an upgrade for the 5spd the 10mm pump will not work correctly on the automatic. If he did not know about the fuel pump vs injection pump he does not know TDI's. I wouldn't let him touch the injection pump, he will not have the correct tools to put the engine at TDC before removal and is likely to destroy your engine.

Your problem may be as simple as an air leak in a fuel hose. You need to find a TDI mechanic that can properly diagnose this problem and fix it.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
As far as I know VW doesn't make injection pumps any more so you can not find a new one at any price unless some one has one sitting in a garage or warehouse they have forgotten about. Used is all that's available. They can be rebuilt. Not just anyone can do that, there is a place in the pacific northwest that specializes in that. I don't remember the name right off. (Dryphus?) Consult tdiclub.com for the name. Do not buy anything from hansautosports.com.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
The more I think about this the more I think that the IP is the last thing that should be checked. Is you ASV open? They get stuck closed and the car wont start exactly as you describe. Its the little lever on the back of your egr, move it with your fingers, diesel tends to build up oily sticky crud that needs to be cleaned out once in a while.

Follow this how to before letting this guy do anything with the IP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts