NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car died and the fuel pump was the issue.
Mobile mechanic took it out and made it spinning again by tapping.

It stopped working again. I took it out and beat the motor inside.

It sounds like it spins well when it's out of the gas tank. but when it's inside gas tank it doesn't seem like it's running.
(the motor only spins when I start the starter. it doesn't run when 'ON' position. I wonder why...since I know they should run little)

Maybe the motor is too weak to spin around gas fluid?

I just want to drive around till the parts arrive in couple days...

BTW, I was about to go to some girl's house that day and car died......
Plus another girl just txted me today to watch a 'movie' which I didn't expect....:mad::mad:

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Fuel injection systems will 'prime' first (you'll hear the pump kick 'on' when you open the door first thing in the morning.) Also when you have it starting up, it will also run.

Just kicking the car to the 'on' position, and not 'running'? The pump shouldn't be running. (At least thats how most domestic fuel injection works....German engineers may have had other ideas)

S-

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
I've had Fuel pump issues and might have your cure; but first a few questions.

Do you drive your beetle for a length of time, i.e., to work for the day and back home, then the next day it dies? Even if you drive to work, park it for a while and it dies upon restart?

Are you also having issues with your driver's side door lock, e.g., the alarm doesn't arm intermittently?

My beetle has suffered these issues and the culprit of the fuel pump is the door lock micro switch.

The micro switch has poor soldering and fail over time, by way of cracked solder and poor connection. This is becoming a problem with many MKV VW's. The solution is buying a new door switch OR repairing your current switch, by removing and re-solder the micro switch with better grade solder.

Yes, this is screwy that the fuel pump runs through the door switch, but it does.

A few more quirky things about my fuel pump incident:
went through 3- 1 salvage, & 2 via the auto parts jobber. The third was a keeper. In technical hindsight, the 2nd one was good too...tell ya why.

On pump #3 I made a kill switch from the fuse panel, starving the pump from power when she was parked, especially overnight. Well one night I forgot to turn on the kill switch, and the next morning, she wouldn't start. Frustrated, I let her sit for a day with the kill switch on. Next day, went out to see if the pump was really toast, and tried to start her up. Turned off the kill switch, turned the key, heard the pump prime and she started up.

BTW, The kill switch is a temp. After troubleshooting and scratching my head, I initially pulled the fuse and plugged it in when I needed to go anywhere; that got old, hence the kill switch.

This might not be your issue, but it just might. Maybe this will be a help to you.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Car died and the fuel pump was the issue.
Mobile mechanic took it out and made it spinning again by tapping.

It stopped working again. I took it out and beat the motor inside.

It sounds like it spins well when it's out of the gas tank. but when it's inside gas tank it doesn't seem like it's running.
(the motor only spins when I start the starter. it doesn't run when 'ON' position. I wonder why...since I know they should run little)

Maybe the motor is too weak to spin around gas fluid?

I just want to drive around till the parts arrive in couple days...

BTW, I was about to go to some girl's house that day and car died......
Plus another girl just txted me today to watch a 'movie' which I didn't expect....:mad::mad:
14 year old car with original electric fuel pump, not surprised.

I recommend PM replacement on electric fuel pumps between year 8-10 and you will hopefully not be walking.

For the $150 or so for an OE pump with fuel sending unit, this is cheap insurance IMHO.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Yep, this mobile mechanic has a 75 dollar minimum 1 hour labor charge. That pays for half your fuel pump right there. It cost about 125 to get towed to the next town, from any small town around here also. So between those two you could do it yourself and have $50 left over for beer!
And watch out for those fast girls! They might give you something you don't want... :eek:

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it to work but it sounds like it's not spinning properly.

I went for test drive and barely made back home since car was about to die and I couldn't go over 20mph.

the thing about fuel pump is that it's damn expensive at a local shop ($320 at autozone. they know you are desperate huh)

I bought APE fuel pump for 70 bucks on amazon. hopefully it works ok.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts