NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter has a 2001 1.8t and it has a strong smell of raw gas every now and then there is no codes in the computer it runs good. I have checked all the vacuum lines and fuel lines no broken lines or hoses. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Check the fuel filter and attachment lines.

Passenger side under the car just in front of the rear passenger side wheel.

The fuel lines are plastic and the fuel filter has a quick connector, if someone did not know what they were doing when replacing a fuel filter they can break the quick connector/fuel line and many people make really questionable repairs to this.

Also make sure the fuel fill compartment drain is not plugged, as fuel that may get spilled when fueling may pool around the fuel fill?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hello Everybody.

I have a 2002 Jetta 1.8T. with the same fuel vapor odor inside the car.

For a while I started to smell gasoline inside the car and there were times that the smell was unbearable and I had to lower the windows.

I found the problem on a broken/crack hose that goes attached to the Charcoal Canister. Check picture orange arrow. At first glance, I was not seen anything wrong, until I move the hoses and found one with a crack. It was cracked at the nipple were it attach the charcoal canister. I just replace it with a regular rubber hose. Make sure to move all the hoses and I am pretty sure you will find a damage one there.

Make sure to work in a ventilated area and make sure dont have nothing that can ignite the vapor fumes.

Keep in mind that the Charcoal Canister job is to absorb the fuel vapors that form in the gas tank and then redirects the vapor to the engine combustion chamber. In this way, the gases do not goes to the environment and does no make any no pollution.

The smell of gasoline was coming inside the car through the pollen filter. Although the air conditioning is selected to recirculate. As you may know, this part has flap that close and open in oder to recirculate the air inside. That part have a electric servo that have inside some plastic gears and they get broke and does not work. Since this par fail, it does not close 100% allowing outside odor and the fuel vapors to come inside the car.

I took the car to a place where fix air conditioners and they closed the flap with a wire and there is no way that air from the outside enter the car. So I am not using any more pollen filters :)

Hope this info help you guys........... If you found the problem, make sure to take some pictures and post them here in order to help others.

Cheers

Isaac

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts