VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here goes with a question. I tried searching, its driving my eyes nuts.

I bought a 99 beetle with a 2.0 engine. It won't start, turns over fine. It isn't getting fuel. It will start no problem with starter fluid.

I did check that it had gas.

What are the cheapest things to check before I spend $300 on a fuel pump? Is there anything I should look for? I was going to replace the FP Relay and wondered if there was a fuse or something else to look at.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The first thing to check is whether the fuel pump runs when the driver's door is opened. It should run for about 1 second as the door is opened. You should hear the hum come from under the car as it does. The pump will only run if the fuel pressure has dropped so if the door has been opened it will have to stay closed for about 30 minutes before the pump will run again.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Usually a failing crank sensor will cause stalling, not a no-start. Also, I don't think there is spark with a bad crank sensor.

Hopefully the OP can give some more information, like did this problem happen suddenly, or has there been a history of driveability issues. Also, has the check engine light been on, and if so what are the codes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fuel pump and relay are good. Is there a security lock out feature that disable fuel pump? Will read codes tomorrow when I get reader

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Lift your backseat. Under the seat there is a black metal lid with three screws holding it down, remove that. You can unplug the wire connector to the fuel pump, run a hot 12 volts to your fuel pump it will be the two fatter wires of the four. One is positive,one is negative, your pump will either work, or it won't. If your fuel pump pumps, then you know it is either a relay a fuse or something else.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
The '99 doesn't have an immobilizer, so there is nothing that should disable the engine. If the pump runs when the door is opened it is good electrically, but not necessarily mechanically.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
First an OE VDO/Siemens pump with fuel sending unit is less that $160 from BMAParts delivered using discount code SPECE30, usually they drop ship from local warehouses so it is not uncommon for the parts to arrive next day with standard shipping.

1999 Volkswagen Beetle - Parts -MEYLE,SIEMENS/VDO- Bma Auto Parts

Sounds like a pump problem, I see this more often in the colder months. You can try to cycle the key on and off multiple times before you start your car in case the pump is not fully priming because of a bad check valve in the pump. Also a faulty door latch could also keep the pump from priming.

The car is 14 years old, a pump is probably overdue anyway along with a fuel filter and fuel pump relay.

The pump is an easy replacement from the inside of the car.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The driver door is taken apart. The lock is not properly in the hole. Could this be an issue.
If you do not hear the fuel pump prime when you open the drivers door, this cold likely be the issue?

Not sure all years prime when the drivers door is opened, but my 2003 does.

As mentioned, you might turn the ignition on and off about 4-5 times to see if you can get the pump to prime and start the engine without a problem.

Fuel pressure gauge could be used to test what is really going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts