NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, how many people don't vent when refueling? Also, if I wanted to fill the tank, could I just let it pump 'till it shuts off or is there a possibility of spillage?

·
Go Sox!
82 Posts
imsos04 said:
Out of curiosity, how many people don't vent when refueling? Also, if I wanted to fill the tank, could I just let it pump 'till it shuts off or is there a possibility of spillage?
I always vent because I want to get an accurate measurement of my miles per gallon. The pumps around here will automatically shut off for me with no spillage, but I always recommend keeping an eye on it because the diesel fuel can foam up, especially with no venting. Please keep in mind I am talking about the small fuel nozzles at the local gas stations, and all bets are off if you are using the large nozzles the truckers use.

·
180 Degrees out of faze
841 Posts
I think you just convered another, so new total is now 851.

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
I've got a ritual for fueling. 6-8 ounces of Power Service first so it mixes good. Then fill up watching for foam. Foam has only been a problem when fueling at a truck stop with big nozzles. Then slowly vent 'til full. I don't vent during the heat of summer unless I'm on a trip as diesel can expand when hot and over flow.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another question, when the ULSD comes here, would we need to do anything to the car? Will it affect the fuel milage?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I vent all summer, living here in VA. I Have never heard of a 1st hand experiance of fuel expanding and leaking out of a diesel....

·
Tell your mom I said hi
444 Posts
maxforce said:
I vent all summer, living here in VA. I Have never heard of a 1st hand experiance of fuel expanding and leaking out of a diesel....
I've never had it happen in a NB either. Have in a truck though. Preventing this is one of the reasons for the air space that we are defeating when we vent.

·
Registered
30 Posts
the only thing we had it leak out of is a steel tank in a truck. The tank set behind the bed in full sunlight. Being steel and sitting in the sun insted of plastic and in the shade may be the difference.

·
So this is the Y2K bug...
6 Posts
in the filler neck or "pipe" that you pump the fuel into, there is a small black button that when pressed down vents air into the filler neck, allowing more fuel to go into the tank/filler neck.

Diesel bubbles up. push the button, vent off the bubbles, add more fuel, drive farther between fill-ups!

·
Good-bye Curby...
8,727 Posts
vee_dubya_diesel said:
in the filler neck or "pipe" that you pump the fuel into, there is a small black button that when pressed down vents air into the filler neck, allowing more fuel to go into the tank/filler neck.

Diesel bubbles up. push the button, vent off the bubbles, add more fuel, drive farther between fill-ups!
do gas beetles have this, too?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Vent? What's a vent? ;)

I'm ventless, baby...............yeeeaaaaaah!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts