NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone going? Planning to at this point, though it will be Saturday only. They have a NB area this year.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I had a long post in response to this, but I spent too much time composing it, and as a result, I lost it! :mad: Anyway, to see my thoughts, you can find a similar post on the NCWB website under Events. I'm Pat, and I think it's titled, Crashing Predominantly Air-Cooled Shows. Also , check out some of my blog posts over there and you'll see exactly where I'm coming from.

Anyway, if I had known about Mid America's decision to finally recognize New Beetles/12+ sooner, I would have made plans to attend again this year, but now it's too late.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
An interesting development here..........I originally thought I would have to work this weekend (June 1-2) but now it looks like I have it off after all, so in theory, I could go, but it would be no easy task. For starters, I'm hitting the road for Roswell on the 4th, and I'm also going to the Minneapolis VW show on Sunday, the 2nd, which I would do even if I had to work because my Sunday shift is actually 11:00 PM Sat until 7:00 AM Sunday. I have done both shows back-to-back before, but it means only going to Effingham for Saturday, leaving at around 3:00 or 4:00PM, and then driving 500 miles back to Wisconsin and arriving around 1:00 AM and then getting up 5 hours later to make the 100 mile trek to Minneapolis. At 53, I'm getting kind of old to be trying that stuff and there's also the question about this new water-cooled section. If I knew for certain that this would be filled with water-cooled Beetle people as opposed to your run-of-the-mill slammed GTI, Jetta, and Audi crowd like 99% of water-cooled VW events end up being, my decision would be much easier to make. I'll think it over.........

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just wondering if any attended. Seems you might be the only other or others aren't saying. I am into the air cooled just as much as the newer water cooled, but am without one at the moment.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
I used to be just as much if not more into air-cooled VWs, but what sets me apart from your average VW enthusiast is that I have no mechanical aptitude, so I learned the hard way that people like me shouldn't try to drive a car with 40+ year-old technology. My last air-cooled VW was a 69 Beetle that I bought from another member of my all-VW club in 2003. It was great for about the first 2 years of ownership, but then it became a nightmare. Maybe I got a lemon, or maybe the independent mechanic that maintained it wasn't as good as I thought he was, or both, but all I know is that I've had 4 different water-cooled VWs, and none ever left me stranded like that 69 Bug did. By 2009, I swore off air-cooled VWs and became a confirmed water-cooled Beetle guy. Interestingly, water-cooled Bugs are typically better embraced at air-cooled-dominated events, but I was irked that Mid America's Funfest placed a huge emphasis on air-cooled Beetles, Buses, and Ghias,and all but ignored modern-day Beetles. So.....when I learned that they have changed their tune, I'm very curious to see how this new development will pan out. Now this could either be a great place to find other NB/12+ people interested in a modern Beetle club, or, in the other scenario, just another VW show with about a 5% water-cooled Beetle turnout among the majority of slammed GTIs, Jettas, and Audis, where a guy like me is clearly out-of-place. But going there is the only way to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
As it turns out, I'm going to pass on it this year. Too much other stuff going on..........and driving 1200 miles round trip in 36 hours plus attending the event isn't an easy thing to do even for someone younger...:p One way or another, I'll do my best to find out what it was like this year after the fact.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts