VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
n00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I brought a use 2006 New Beetle 2.5L 2 days ago for my 17yr old daughter. Well last night she went to the store and called me saying that her car would not start. She described the issue, and my first thought was that it was the battery. So I drove to her location with the intent to give her a jump. When I got there I noticed that she could turn the key and the car would attempt to start, but just wouldn't. It was not the battery as far as I could tell. It just sounded like it was getting any gas. So as I was sitting there waiting for a tow truck I did some Google searching. I found that other New Beetle owners reported that Fuse #37 (engine control unit? I think it’s called) continues to pop. So I checked the fuse box, and yes #37 was popped. So I replaced it with another 20 fuse and the car started just fine. No more than 2 minutes, and it popped again. Now let me tell you at this point I am not a mechanic, and have no idea what I am doing. So my thought was to put in a higher fuse. So I had my wife pick up a 30 fuse and bring it to me. I put in the 30 and the car stayed on longer, HOWEVER the check engine light started to blink and then smoke started to come out from under the hood. My Immediate thought was FIRE!!! So I shut off the engine quickly and prayed there was no fire. Smoke appeared to be coming from 2 locations under the Air Filter box, and on top of the engine from what I believe to be one of the fuel injectors. At this point I have no idea if I just brought a car that I am going to have to dump a bus load of money back into it to fix it, or if it’s as simple as finding a wire that may be touching. Anyone have any suggestions of what a layman can look for to try and resolve this without dumping another bucket of money into it? Or Do I need to send it to the mechanic and proceed to make it rain? I am willing to send pics if that will help. My Daughter is extremely upset that she cannot drive her new car. Please help!

I don't know if this URL will work, but here is a pic of our 2006 New Beetle. https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1622723_10201529149652577_1379092466_n.jpg

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
It would seem you have a electrical grounding issue; have you inspected the wiring in the engine compartment or scanned the car for trouble codes? Visually inspecting the wiring; many times will show you the problem; if they were smoking, its possible the wiring insulation would be compromised. Look for melted wires funny looking wiring loom tape etc., getting a wiring diagram and tracing things would be a good start, coming off of that fuse circuit #37 (this way you can look at all the wiring in the engine compartment; related to the fuse popping). It can be a component; that was failing or wiring that was grounding in some way (physical contact); the fuse, was popping to protect your wiring system, you need to diagnose and fix the problem (The popped fuse, was a *symptom* of the problem; pointing to a greater problem). Putting higher fuses in; isn't fixing the problem and could cause more damage to the wiring (as indicated by the smoking incident).

Fixing electrical issues; can be a challenge but as I said, with a good wiring diagram, inspecting the wiring harness and testing the components related to it, to confirm that they are ok... can result in repairing the problem. If you don't have the time and have the money for repairs; taking it to a professional, would make sense. If you want to tackle it yourself; start looking at the wires; take some pictures if you find anything the doesn't look normal (melted) and with the wiring diagram... maybe we can help you out.

By the way; where did you buy the car and was/is there any kind of warranty?

·
n00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply. I took the time yesterday to take apart what I could to try and locate any burnt wires. Unfortunately I do not have a wiring diagram to try and trace the wires. Again I am not a mechanic, and more than likely wouldn't be able to read a wiring diagram.

I did however locate a burnt Direct Ignition coil Pack. And the connector was burnt as well. Also the fuse is no longer popping and the car will run with a blinking CEL. I had Auto-zone check and they said there was a misfire in 4, and bad coil pack D. I took some pics of the burnt components. Do you think I can simply replace the burnt Ignition coil pack, and connector? If so I know I can buy a new coil pack from Auto-zone, but not sure where to get the connector.

Also, I brought the car cash as Is no warranty. I don't want to mess the car up anymore than it already is. If anyone knows of a good place I can take it here in Cypress, TX where I wont have to dump a bucket of cash I would appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Well, THAT would seem to be the obvious problem (coil pack/plug); I think, I would go ahead and replace those parts, give it a shot. Word of advice; coil packs on VWs are failure prone, DO NOT buy junk coil packs from Autozone, the quality is questionable and most likely give you more problems and fail. The price of the OEM/VW parts are not that expensive; many times, even cheaper then the ones from your typical auto parts store, like Autozone. Go to your local VW dealer and get the coil pack there. You can get the plug and replacement wire ends; at the dealer as well. VW revises their parts continually; so, most likely the coil pack you get, will have a revised part # (the suffix; will be different "A, B, C, D," etc; shows the revision).

A quick search on VWs national parts site: shows two dealers close by in your area:

Volkswagen National eStore

West Houston Volkswagen

http://westhoustonvwparts.com
17113 Katy Freeway , Houston
TX 77094
(888) 905-1489

Volkswagen of The Woodlands

http://vwofthewoodlandsparts.com

16785 Interstate 45 S , The Woodlands
TX 77385
(888) 577-2593

From what I can see from: Volkswagen Parts 2Go | Genuine VW Parts 25% Off

You coil pack is (this looks right but they will look up the parts with your VIN# to make sure you get the right parts):

VW part #: 07K-905-715-F 2.5 LITER IGNITION COIL $24.75 $18.56

For the plug and wiring ends; I would call or go visit the dealer with your VIN # and they will get you the parts you need. Looks to be 4 wires total; they will have yellow repair wire sets (2 ends each) and the plug will be separate; hopefully you can reuse the small little rubber plugs that seal the wires. I would call ahead first and that way you will know they have the parts.

They sell the repair parts for just each plug/coil and also they sell a whole wire harness assembly ($60-$100 range); that you splice in and replaces ALL of the coil pack plugs/connectors etc. If you end up having more issues; beyond just the plug, that is a option to do it all and make sure the coil pack electrical system in good shape. Over time; the wiring harness plug/wires deteriorate and many have said, that this can actually cause the coil packs to fail.

While, you are there; you might check with the service dept. on any warranty/recalls on the car; on some cars the coil packs were a warranty replacement for free. You never know; they may do the job for free, since the coil pack failed, give it a shot... all they can say is "NO" not covered under a recall.

·
n00b
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I contacted the dealer to see if they could have their mechanic take a look at it and charge me for the repairs. To my surprise the dealership offered to repair the issue for free and all I would need to do is cover the towing of the car back to the dealership. This was excellent considering they didn't have to do this as I brought the car cash as is. I am glad there are some honest dealers out there. My wife had been bugging me to call them from the beginning stating that they sold us a lemon, but I honestly don't believe there is any way they knew this was going to happen. This is why I hesitated calling them in the first place and was ready to tackle the issue. I am glad I finally did. Thanks for all of your assistance in trying to get this resolved, but I am going to let the experts take care of this one. My Daughter cant wait to have her car back.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
WELL! That is great news; is the dealer a VW dealer or a independent, large other brand, etc.? I'm sure they are trying to "save the sale", avoid any potential legal issues, and thats a great gesture of good will, on their part. Please keep us informed; as the repair progresses and how everything ends up working out for you! :)

I would also; contact your local VW dealership and see if there are any "open" recalls that need to be done on the car, those will be done for free as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts