VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone.

I'm sharing my experience. My TurboS recently began melting fuses off the fuse box atop the battery. I replaced them couple times and decided to take the car to the electric shop.

The technician told me that this is a very common flaw in these cars. The flaw on this part is that there is a huge amount of heat coming through it. The part, with the heat, becomes brittle and cannot stand the heat anymore; melting its way completely.

The fuses for the fans/AC compressor and more are located here.

The temporary fix was to route the current out of the box's fuses and replace them with external fuses; this way no more heat... for now.

The part new costs about 120 usd, which at the moment I don't have. There are cheaper alternatives but in my mechanic experience.. these chinese knockoffs are so poorly made, its not worth the 60 USD for them.

Is your AC suddenly not working? Check this fuse box!

Best regards.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
fuses

thanks for the good information. Remember the FCM also is powered by this fuses so if any of this devices is pulling too much current the box will get hot and melt.

·
Ali's Dad
229 Posts
The melting fuse box is a common problem. The easiest fix is to replace the wire from the alternator with a thicker gauge wire. I did this and have not had a recurrence of the melting box (and i use the $20 box off of ebay!). The key is to be sure that the wire from the alternator has a really good end on it (then end that connects to the fuse box) - you don't want any resistance (which is what leads to the extra heat).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts