NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I do a engine mod my new meter gives me very good info on how the nb performs with new mod. The meter gives me 60 ft-60 mph-1/8-1/4 times and much much more info including hp & torque.

It is very important, for the meter to give accurate readings, to set it up properly. Accurate weight is important so i got my nb weighed on accurate scales at 2810 lbs. I had to work a little to get the weight down to this level.

I believe the meter is accurate, but you do have an advantage over the track in that you do not have to worry about staging, lights etc.

Would my time be different at the track-who knows-but i will find out this spring. I do know that some high power autos at the track come in with some high times because they failed to execute properly.

Some of my mods to my 2003 1.8t automatic trans are as follows---apr chip with apr 2.5 turbo back exhaust-forge dv-J valve-abd big bore tip-neu speed lower intercooler tube-pendelum mount-and changes to get better air to cai. On a trial basis nb is mufflerless.

My best time with everything just right is 13.99 in quarter. Hit this only one time-did hit 14.00 but most of time around 14.10-14.25

1st reading

60 ft - 2.360 at 2948 rpm
60 mph- 5.544 - 5758 rpm
1/8 - 9.185 - 82.22 mph-5174 rpm-
1/4-102.78 mph -6150 rpm

2nd reading

60 ft 2.336
60 mph - 5.62
1/8 - 9.233 80.75 mph
1/4 - 14.17-99.57 mph

Got other readings that i will add later -going to put muffler back on and post some readins in a few days

If i could just get the 60 ft time down. My top end as you can see is pretty good.

I would like to know what time others are doing-so dont hesitate to post your times or offer comments.

pic of G tech

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
not to rain on your parade.... but i've NEVER, in a year of being on Vortex's 1.8T forum at least once a day, heard of an auto 1.8T that went much faster than high 14's.

The Gtech is a useful tool for determining if a mod you made was worthwhile (before/after comparisons) but even then, the data must be averaged over a series of runs, on the flattest road possible, and preferable 3 runs each way on the same road, to eliminate variables. However, for determining 1/4 mile time.... its useless.

Please don't take this as me hating on your car or anything silly like that, I just don't want you to be surprised when you finally do get to a track and get results that are less than what you expected. When you do get to the track though, try running the GTECH while you're racing, to see if you can determine if it is consistant (ie: even if its not accurate, is it consistanly inaccurate? if you run three 14.5's, how close is the gtech each time?). But seriously, I know several people who have used those things, exactly as the directions stated, and at a real track they were no where close.

I think what may be giving you a generous result (vs. real-life track et's from others) is your vehicle weight. 2810 lbs? Does that include your personal body weight? What if anything is removed from the car? Just saying, because my car, with a 1/4 tank of gas, no pass. seat, no rear seat, and no spare, weighs 2905 with me in it(weighed at ATCO and Etown Raceways), and I weigh 195 lbs. So either your car was in the exact setup as mine, and you yourself weigh 100 lbs, or you forgot to add your self into the equation. I mean, you could have stripped it to hell, which is why I'm asking, but i tend not to assume such things since most NB owners aren't into the "full-race" setups.

·
Too Many Dubs....
160 Posts
There are two issues here, one is accuracy and one is consistancy.
You can have a tolerance on each, and end up with different results.

The G-Tech is not accurate for ****. You cant even compare G-Tech readings from one to the next- Ie, my buddies car G-Techs 13.80s, mine G-Techs 13.60, so I can whoop him.
The G-Tech IS on the other hand, very consistant. If you set it up the same way, and use it on the same stretch of road, if the performance of your car never changes it will yeild almost the same results.

I used to go to the track twice a week, every week with a car I used to have. I borrowed a friends G-Tech for a while to use between track days. Well, the G-Tech was reading a few tenths faster or slower than I usually run at the track, which can easily be just because of a grade on the road that the track does not have.
So, over the course of a month or two, I would take the G-Tech to the track with me every so often. What I found is yes, the accuracy was way off. I was running in the mid-high 13s and it was saying the low 13s or 14s. BUT, it was always off by the same amount within a few hundreths.

What that means is if you choose a road to do your testing on and stick with it, it is a VERY good tool for gauging before and after performance, but dont even think its telling you a number that you can compare to someone else because it can be anywhere from a half second fast to a half second slow. When I posted this up on the forum I was a part of at the time, it got alot of other guys to do the same and the variance was all over the place.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for info..The g tech is a good gauge of performance especially since we have area that we can go to and do testing - it is on a very flat long surface. I have tested time after time after time-i am going to blow it up testing:D

When I do a new engine mod the g tech can tell me if the mod helped. Its telling me now that mufflerless has taked off the lower end. I am going to try a borla race muffler . It should be installed today. I will go to same place and test-test-test. I will let you know the results. To be honest mufflerless is not that loud in normal driving i was surprised.

As to the weight the -2810- is with me in the car--i never run over 5 gal of gas-no muffler no spare tire etc. The weight is correct because it was done on certified scales. At times It could be off a few lbs depending on amount of gas.

Personally i think I should brake 15 at the track-and probably could run 14.65 to 14.75. But again i know you have do do everything just right. As mentioned you got to know what your doing at the track. I remember years ago i had a hot pontiac-all i could get was 15.3 but a friend that had track knowledge said -let me drive it -and he broke the 15's. The track is another beast. I do want to check my g tech with track times and reset if needed.

My plans for the nb is not a track car - mostly be used as a street car. With my mods ,as long as I dont get into the turbo, gets good milage. I can still go on trips but I dont. I never drive nb in the rain or snow so i can do some things to my nb that others would not want to do because they use it as daily driver in all kinds of weather. I will mention a few of those things later.

I do belive the nb is running good for a automatic- to be honest it has beat some pretty strong cars and some real strong cars has taken me to the cleaners. I understand that their is a new viper around town and no way my nb can beat that. But the nb has surprised a lot of drivers.

I plan to send torque converter and valve body to level ten for performance set up. A buddy of mine is a good transmission man and he thinks we could really help the tras on performance level. Sometimes i wish for a stick trans. My Automatic is sensitive to performance changes.

Also it wont be long till I take nb to auburn alabama(apr) and they are going to work out k04 software and put fmic in.

It doesnt bother me at all for one to make challenging comments. Hey - that is why i put it on this forum. Let it fly - tell me what you think. Dont be too hard on me-I cry easy:D :D

Again - thanks for comments. Very helpful - Let me know what times you are running in the quarter-and what has really helped your nb to perform better.

Also i would like to add - i kmow they haved raved about the new g tech on porsche and car racing sights. The new early versions had different sensors and not nearly as accurate as new g tech. The new version has three sensors-meaning you can mount it in about any position and make calculations through g forces. To me i think the new g tech is a very valuable tool. If meter is off it is not way off.

Who knows what is off and what is on and what times one will run at the track. So i will wait till spring and take it to track and i will be happy to brake the l5's with my auto trans. I probably let my son drive it at the track he weighs 140 and has experience in racing.

·
beetle driver for life
1,151 Posts
When you do get your NB out to the track then post your times in motorsports under 1/4 mile times. You should be able to get in the high 14's I ran a 15.73 with my heavy 18s on(48 extra pounds of rotational mass) a full tank of fuel, spare tire, tool kit the whole shabang. Plus I have an APH with the simple K03. My only mod is a Borla cat-back exhaust.So with your list of mods you should do fine. Good job on the mods. How did you get your car so light?

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would like to see the results at the track when you get your nb chipped. That beautiful car of yours will really turn on.

My son and i planned to go to the track the end of november-so my son being a boat racer wanted to get it as light as possible. So he took muffler off-spare tire out-passenger seat and rear seats were removed-belly pan-wiper cowling both metal and the plastic piece around wipers(this removal helped it to get more cool air to cia) etc etc etc. The gas light was on -so very little gas in nb . With all of this done we did lot of testing and then took it had it weighed. Something developed and we could not go to the track. I have put some of the removals back on to keep it from looking naked. So right now it is a little heavier. I am going to have it weighed again soon.

i tell you YJ -I have had more fun with this nb. Poor little thing-keeps telling me to give it a break.

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Red Rider said:
I would like to see the results at the track when you get your nb chipped. That beautiful car of yours will really turn on.

My son and i planned to go to the track the end of november-so my son being a boat racer wanted to get it as light as possible. So he took muffler off-spare tire out-passenger seat and rear seats were removed-belly pan-whiper cowling both metal and the plastic piece around wipers(this removal helped it to get more cool air to cia) etc etc etc. The gas light was on -so very little gas in nb . (snip)...

i tell you YJ -I have had more fun with this nb. Poor little thing-keeps telling me to give it a break.
Wow, you are one of the few people who have posted this little trick. Great job sir!!!

Yes, it does greatly improve the air flow through the engine compartment, and helps keep the engine temps down. I do the same thing when I get to the Road courses. The metal cowl is just held on with a couple of nuts.

Cool......TechnoTrix'd.....:wave3:

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
your right-those pieces removed gives a big gap for air flow and my engine even runs cooler. I even ghetto modded my factory air box and it works great because of the abundance of cool air.

Since i dont drive my nb in bad weather i am going to keep pieces off and put my bert wiper cowl on across the back of the hood. i plan to get the bernt cowl painted and installed soon. The cowl will hide the wipers and the opening.

What i want to do this spring is to make a air scoop low in the hood like the complete bernt hood that has two scoops low on the hood-or like Bhrific has on his hood- you talk about air flow--I would have it then.

Then if i want to take a trip in my nb it will take me just a few minutes to put factory metal piece back in to drain the rain off.

a few pics--one without the pieces showing the space and one with unpainted bernt cowl just laid in place. The cowl will look a lot better with little trimming and matching paint. I will still have large opening but it will be lot less noticeable.

If you would like to see a wiper cowl installed and painted-check out Pulgamovile's or killer tomato's nb.

Attachments

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
:D It does look sleepy and tired(no wonder)- if i had it to do over again dont think i would put lids on. Would hate to try and take them off-they come with very strong black glue.

Keep up the good work on exhaust and fmic. Lot of interest out there.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Talking about l.8t automatic ko3's-i have heard and read aout them breaking the l4's at the track.

In fact storm trooper one of our moderators in one of his post about a year ago getting info from 18Turbo.com--talked about---Jonathan's auto jetta k03 ,at the track, coming in at 13.5 and 12.9s on a tiny shot of juice.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
I used a gtec once, I guess it's alright if you give it a few tenths leeway, it's good to get an idea of what you might run. I used the old gtec tho.

I would like to run without that cowl thing on my car, but it rains too much in miami, I took off the insulation under my hood cuz it was falling off, thats about it.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would say you need to give a litle leeway. But as mentioned the new g tech they say is much better than old one.

If you are in a rainy area you would not want to take parts off. But oh does it help i can run pretty hard and come in and place my hand of most of the engine area and it is cool to touch especially factory air box area.

I tried the p flow a few months ago but did not do the job for me. But now if i could route one near the opening it may work ok ,but i have getto mod the factory air box.

I am going to run a scoop low on hood. Do you know of anyone with the bernt hood installed with the two scoops low on the hood. Would love to see a good pic of one installed on their nb. The abd racing pic is just not that clear.

·
Sloooooooow Down!!!!
899 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been trying To find that pic of scoop connected to air box

Like to see it but cant find pic.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts