NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day!

Yesderday after a 30 minutes ride with the Beetle, the overdrive suddently stop working on my 1998 2.0L Auto Beetle.

Also, the tranny shifts from 1 to 2 very smoothly but for the 3rd gears it was very rough.

So when I got home, I plug the VAGCOM and found that error in the auto transmission.

00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-00 - No Signal

So I clear the error, reset the transmission with the 10 seconds throttle all the way in trick and got back on the road to check it out.

The tranny shifts more smoothly in 3rd and also the overdrive (4th gears) worked like before and engage very smoothly like it was doing before.

Today, I took the beetle back on the road and got the same error message with a slight variant and the 3rd gears is starting to do the same rough shift as it was doing yesterday, but the overdrive was still working!

New error message :

00281 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (G68)
03-10 - No Signal - Intermittent

So, from my understanding, the G68 is defective and because of that, the TCU don't handle shifting correctly? If it was internal to the tranny, the overdrive would have never worked again correct?

If I replace this little bastard (G68), I'm pretty confident the tranny will work as before right?

Thank you for your help ;)

Also, where can I get this sensor brand new on the web on the cheap? I hate the stealership in my area... I live up north in Canada.

:)

·
Probably MIA
2,800 Posts
The TCU does require info from the G68 sensor in order to shift properly and at the right time. Replacing it should cure the issue. It would also be beneficial for you to remove the electrical connections at the transmission and clean them thoroughly. Remove them all and spray some electrical contact cleaner in there followed up by compressed air. Finish up by spraying WD-40 in the connectors and then plugging them back in. Dirty/moist connections can cause these problems as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much for the fast answer DZLBUG, I've been an avid reader on this forum but it was my first time posting and you guys are very fast at giving good advice!

I'll try cleaning the terminals first then I'm going to replace this little bastard if it's still not working correctly!

Do you have any favorite online supplier for VW parts?

I've search with google, but the only sensor they seem to carry is the G38.

Thank you once again for your answer :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I just ran to G68 problems as well

Can someone confirm my guess? I recently got 00281 & 00652 codes. AFAIK latter can be caused by first one. So it calls to G68 on my tranny.
After just looking under the hood before taking everything apart, I noticed worn out wire cable shield. As on the attached pictures. Is it the part of G68 (01m 927 321 b)? Does the wire come with sensor or does it snap on it somehow and I don't need a sensor, but just the wire?

Is it the only way to get to it by removing engine mounts? Is there a good DIY on the web on how to get there? I've found just general instructions so far that involves removing engine mounts and replacement of a couple of single use bolts. Does it worth doing it at the same time as a timing belt? It is about a time for me.

Also I'm puzzled a bit by

Is it a bracket near G38 that holds the wire, is it connected to it, or is it just a such snapshot?

Attachments

·
Registered
266 Posts
jack stands vs ramps?

Can someone suggest what is better to use as I have neither and eventually will ask friends for either?

I'm about to replace that G68 vehicle speed sender. AFAIK for that I'll have to remove transmission guard and support transmission with a jack while removing its mount to get an access to G68.

1) Though it seems to me that ramps are easier and safer, I have a feeling that clearance might be too high to support transmission with a floor jack.

What did you use?

2) Also I'm going to do it at a parking lot, and I have a feeling that surface area of jack stands is usually small and they might go into an asphalt.

3) Can someone tell me what are the parameters of that stretch bolt on transmission mount so I can get it in advance rather than keep transmission supported with a jack for a long time?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,094 Posts
The issue with using ramps on these cars is that they are so low, you'll scrape if you don't use some sort of pre-ramp ramp set up. I had to use a bunch of pieces of wood to get the car off the groud enough before the ramps to get them on it the only time I've used them. I always use a jack and jackstands. No issues whatsoever with them.

·
Registered
266 Posts
The issue with using ramps on these cars is that they are so low, you'll scrape if you don't use some sort of pre-ramp ramp set up. I had to use a bunch of pieces of wood to get the car off the groud enough before the ramps to get them on it the only time I've used them. I always use a jack and jackstands. No issues whatsoever with them.
Just to sum things up, I've added missing tags to those I found interesting. All looks like rhino ramps should work fine.

The question is still what is that stretch bolt and what is torque spec?

·
Registered
266 Posts
Finally I removed air box and was able to test resistivity. As I expected wires are toasted: it is 4 Ohms (should not be connected) between black & white wires (pin 3&2), while yellow (pin 1) doesn't show any resistivity at all (AFAIK should be 800-900 Ohms). I'm going to strip wires and see if sensor is alive. Perhaps I'll be able to get away with butt connectors instead of removing transmission mount and replacing entire thing.
It is still weird though how it could be toasted from above?? It even looks like metal of the wire was melted a bit.
Also I noticed light cracks in insulation of adjacent cables. Is there any varnish or something that can help seal it and save some time?

·
Registered
266 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts