NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A day after I got my bug (July 13th) the fuel cap light came on after I fueled up and than went off after I unscrewed and re-screwed it several times. Last week the check engine light came on after fueling instead of the fuel cap light.

I'm thinking my fuel cap is bad. I've been looking online and trying to find one. My bug doesn't have your typical fuel cap. All the ones I've found online and the one I purchased from Napa, is threaded - however my current fuel cap is nothing like those. It has one thread on the top but the rest of it is smooth - not threaded the whole way.

Anyone else have trouble finding a fuel cap? Any suggestions where to get one?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
I would get your car scanned for codes first. It could just be coincidental. No reason to buy something you don't actually need.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Yes, let's SEE a pic of the cap you were using when your problem started.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Seems to be a huge problem with the 2006 models. Mines started off doing the samething and then once I put gas in car the car wouldn't start up right away then this lead to the check engine light. Problem was the N80 valve which cost 165 to replace at the dealer however I'm still having the gas light come on every now and then and the dealer now believes that my gas cap is bad.

·
&#956;&#959;&#955;&#8060;&#957; &#955;&#945;&#946;
213 Posts
My NB has a cap with part #1J0 201 553 N, and I can't find it listed anywhere. The part # that I think supersedes this is 1C0 201 550 AD, and it should be the one that does not have threads. You tighten it 1/4 turn, it clicks, and it's on. You cannot turn it any further than the 1/4 turn. The new part number is listed for your 2006 also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts