NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i push the switch to open the gas cover, it frequently does not open. i need to hit the switch 3 or 4 times before it actually opens.

if that wasn't bad enough, the car will sometimes get tempermental and the cover won't close and lock. any ideas what might be causing this, and any ballpark figures?

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
your gas door cable is sticking

iirc it is an inexpensive part to replace, and can also be fixed. I know ther eis a thread on the old forums somewhere

http://forums.newbeetle.org

here is one answer
Fuel door releasing.
There are 3 different ways to accomplish this...The easiest is to gently pry open the door with your finger nails under the rear portion of door, pulling gently untill the plastic tab that latches the door closed pops loose from the inside latch. The second way is to indeed remove the oval access port that is used to change the rear brake and signal lights.
Push rear seat back forward and out of the way and get into rear hatch and with your right arm, reach inside the oval and wiggle your arm up and tword the front of the car up over the wheel well untill you reach the actuator motor and after that is the cable release that you pull to release the fuel door. The third and final way, and also the most labor intensive is to remove the right side trim panel to access the whole mechanism. The cable and/or actuator can be adjusted so that the old stretched cable is short enough to release the door. In order to remove this right(passengers side) rear hatch side trim panel, you must remove the lock trim panel, side trim panel, c-pillar trim. The Bentley manual claims that the B-Pillar trim must be remove inorder to remove the C-pillar trim. Also, the lock trim panel, the panel that below the rear hatch latching mechanism, must be removed inorder to finally remove the rear hatch side panel. All these panels are tricky to remove if not done in the correct order, or if you break a plastic connector, ect. I think VW can get the rear hatch side trim panel off without removing all the other panels. I did not watch years ago when they changed out the whole mechanism under warranty to see how the really did it.
One more thing you can do is to gently bend the plastic tab that sticks out of the door and latches in the direction away from the rear of the car, or the release mechanism. It will only bend a little bit and might be all the help thats needed to allow for release. This can also break the tab off if done too fast when its cold and bent too far. I did this recently with good results and with no breakage.
Once the door is open, spray some cleaner/lubricant down the release cable and hope that helps a little too. Good Luck, JK
P.S. Search this forum for other posts that may have a different or easier way to get this mechanism to work correctly
you could also try any of the other threads in THIS SEARCH

here is the HOW TO on replacing the fuel door release cable CLICKY

Good luck!

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Eeyore said:
your gas door cable is sticking

iirc it is an inexpensive part to replace, and can also be fixed. I know ther eis a thread on the old forums somewhere

http://forums.newbeetle.org
And i think Tom/Fowvay has a link to a "How To" in his signature. I believe i saw it yesterday matter of fact.:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts