NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I need a little help.
I was driving from work this afternoon and I was about 30 min into my 45ish min drive when I noticed that my gas dial was marking that I had used slightly more than a quarter of my tank on my way home which is ridiculous because I filled her up last night! Then as I kept driving the dial started moving downward, back to full. By the time I got home it was in the same place that it had been when I turned it on at work.
Has this ever happened to anyone? And also because I'm new to nb's, where is the gas pump located so I can check that out.
many thanks!

·
Registered
14,073 Posts
It is possible that your fuel tank sending unit is failing; I had my car down for a number of months, because it was sitting for so long... the fuel sender got stuck but went back to normal, after filling it up with gas. The sending unit; is a seperate piece that is removable on the fuel pump but you can buy it as a assembly also, if you have the original pump... it might be time to replace it, anyway. The speedo clusters are also known to fail; if you have VCDS, you can run a test that makes all the needles in the cluster move up/down their full radius of their operating levels. This is to test; the gauges to see if there is anything wrong with the cluster itself; it wouldn't hurt to scan the car as well; see if you can any codes, related to the problem you are experiencing. Check the Bentley; for troubleshooting procedures.
Worst case scenario; if in fact your speedo cluster is failing, there are repair services available that can fix your cluster.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Also make sure the fuel nozzle did not cut off too early when you filled up the car.

When this happens, you think the tank if totally full when in fact it is not and the gauge will drop much earlier than expected.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is possible that your fuel tank sending unit is failing; I had my car down for a number of months, because it was sitting for so long... the fuel sender got stuck but went back to normal, after filling it up with gas. The sending unit; is a seperate piece that is removable on the fuel pump but you can buy it as a assembly also, if you have the original pump... it might be time to replace it, anyway. The speedo clusters are also known to fail; if you have VCDS, you can run a test that makes all the needles in the cluster move up/down their full radius of their operating levels. This is to test; the gauges to see if there is anything wrong with the cluster itself; it wouldn't hurt to scan the car as well; see if you can any codes, related to the problem you are experiencing. Check the Bentley; for troubleshooting procedures.
Worst case scenario; if in fact your speedo cluster is failing, there are repair services available that can fix your cluster.

OK going to check for codes and check the clusters tomorrow. thank you!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts