VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VW New Beetle Convertible with less than 100,000 miles. Lately have had it in the shop many times for major and costly engine problems. This latest issue is some canister problem in gas tank that will apparently cost $1700.00. I am not a car person at all so I don’t know the exact part name but I know what it looks like. I like my car and it has always been in a temp control garage and still looks good. But this is too much. Any ideas..... and what is this latest problem and will I have much more?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Vapor canister?

Google says it shouldn't cost anywhere near $1700
Volkswagen Beetle
Fuel Evaporative Canister Replacement Cost Estimate. The average cost for a Volkswagen Beetle fuel evaporative canister replacement is between $577 and $741. Labor costs are estimated between $108 and $136 while parts are priced between $469 and $604.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I knew the exact name of the part. I know what it looks like. I just don’t want to think these people are pricing it so much higher. They do my repairs quickly and guarantee their work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Billy made I did try that but all the ones we got were in really bad shape. I didn’t even think of eBay. I might look there. I am currently trying to find someone who would do it cheaper than the price I was quoted above.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
If you’re even considering a DIY. The video shows a Golf but a beetle is almost exactly the same.

ECS has a genuine vw oem product, but it’s kinda pricey.

Rock has an aftermarket model that is almost as much, I think I’d go with ECS. You didn’t say which engine you have so I used a 2.5 the price may be different for a different engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you’re even considering a DIY. The video shows a Golf but a beetle is almost exactly the same.

Rock has an aftermarket model that is almost as much, I think I’d go with ECS. You didn’t say which engine you have so I used a 2.5 the price may be different for a different engine.

Mine is the 2.5l engine. Thanks, all very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts