NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone.

I own a 2005 1.8t new beetle. I have had it since May 9, 2005. I don't know if it's my fault or not...I am a bit of a speed demon, and maybe I shouldn't have gone too fast in it before I hit 1,000 miles. Now I have 3,000 or so miles on it (I don't drive it a lot, I just take it to work and back and shopping and the occassional trip to NJ or Long Island). Anyway, I feel like I don't get very good gas mileage. People I know who have other cars tell me they get like 300-400 miles per tank. I'll be lucky if I get 200. Did I mess up my car? Or is it just the way it is because it's a turbo? I'm not too worried about it because like I said before, I don't drive too much anyway so I don't have to fill the tank too often, maybe every 2 weeks. But I still wonder about how my sister, who has a 2005 Mazda 3 (the one with 160hp), gets more than 300 miles per tank. She also drives to Long Island a lot so maybe it has something to do with highway miles... I just don't know. Could it also be my lead foot? I step on the gas kind of hard to pass people. I hope I'm not beating up on my car! Does anyone have any tips for me on improving my gas mileage? Any help would be greatly appreciated! :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,138 Posts
I have a 2000 turbo, and I average about 310 miles per tank. I'm pretty sure gassing it eats up more gas (I very well could be wrong), sitting in traffic probably doesn't help much either. My boyfriend tells me using the AC eats at the gas a little, but being November I hope nobody is using the AC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it's too cold for A/C right now though last Tuesday I actually used the A/C for a little while because it was actually a warm night. But see, you get 310 miles per tank, I'm getting 200. That's what I'm concerned about. I just wonder if I messed it up by not breaking the car in properly. :(

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
*I closed my window while replying to your thread* I was almost done too! Grrr..

Anyway ......

I get about 280-320 on Zoomer. Depends on a few things. Road condition, weather, traffic, how angry I am while I am driving...

I suggest letting your bug get down to the red 'gas is almost gone' beep/light then, seeing how many miles per gallon you are getting. At first, I was only getting about 23mpg. Now, depending on the above conditions I get between 27ish and 29ish.

That still doesnt explain why would only be getting 100's. I would do the above suggestion. And, I would also start taking your bug on some higher speed roads. Bugs like to go fast! But, not just accelerating. If things dont clear up by your first oil change, perhaps there is something wrong. :(

AHhh ... and, we dont have to put the pedal to the floor to accelerate. Just give your bug a little bit of gas and it will pass people the same as stepping on it. :) it is cool. :) My fiance hates it but, I like it. :)

I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My bug won't need an oil change for another 2000 miles or so. It says to change it every 5000 miles and I only have a little over 3000 miles on it. I do want to take it in for service since my husband broke the lever on the driver's side that lifts the seat up to put someone or something in the back seat. Now I don't let others touch that lever on the passenger side for fear they make break that one off too and then no one would be able to sit in the back seat! But anyway...

I'm getting about 200 miles per gallon. So I just want to know, could it be that I did this to the car by not breaking it in right? Like I drove 100mph in it the first week I had it because I drove it to the car show in Long Island and I had to keep up with all the other VW drivers because I didn't know where I was going. Needless to say we all got lost anyway but that's beside the point. I drove it too fast and that's what I'm worried about. I hope that's not what caused it! But I guess I'll find out when I get that oil change! :D

·
Where is home ....
11,013 Posts
Naw. I dont think going 100mph in your bug pre-break in would hurt it. All those VW's with 1.8T in Germany going on the Autobahn ... they are going 140mph (or more or something). So, Im thinking there is something else going on.

Good luck! *hugs*

·
Premium Member
2,714 Posts
I've gotten 399 miles out of my NBC 1.8T's tank, so it's definitely do-able. That's not accelerating over 3000rpm, or going over the speed limit, etc...

But "normal" driving will net me about 320-330 miles to a tank.

-Des

·
Registered
63 Posts
There are so many factors that determine one's MPG. I live in the suburbs where it is relatively flat. Under normal driving (75% highway, 25% city) I get ~25 MPG. When I'm in hilly San Francisco, my mileage definitely goes down.

(2005 1.8T NBC)

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 1.8T (2000) has averaged 23 to 26 mpg for the last 4 tankfuls of driving. 30% city.

This is not bad given that the 2.0L (1999)we have is averaging 24 to 27 -- almost the same.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My 1.8T (2000) has averaged 23 to 26 mpg for the last 4 tankfuls of driving. 30% city.

This is not bad given that the 2.0L (1999)we have is averaging 24 to 27 -- almost the same.

Beetle are not about MPG. There are many cars that do better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
When I take her in for service, I will definitely be asking them what the deal is. Since it's definitely still under warranty, it shouldn't cost me anything, right? I was told that for the 1st year or 12,000 miles (whichever comes first, it will probably be the year way before I get near 12,000 miles) I wouldn't have to pay for service. I'm sure I'll have to pay for the oil change...but who knows. But I don't know when I will have 5,000 miles. I have had the car 6 months and only have 3,000 miles so it will probably be another 3 or 4 months before I get to 5,000 miles *sigh* but that's a good thing, right? The lesser the miles, the more the car is worth. But I should take it to them to fix the lever on the driver's seat. But who has time? I work all day...maybe I can take it to them the week after Christmas since I am actually getting the week off! I just hope they are open...but I'm sure they will be. :)

·
175 Posts
I usually get anywhere from 290 -350 miles per tank and it's all city driving shifting at redline like a maniac up to the speed limit.

·
2008 "Fowvay" yellow NB
574 Posts
I get right about 29mpg and can go really close to 400 miles per tank. I let it get right down to empty. If I'm in a frisky mood the worst I get is like 26mpg. I can't believe other people get worse than that. I wonder if there is something wrong with your fuel injection. Seems like you would get a CEL if the mixture was very far off.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
Lately the majority of my driving has been around town. This last tank netted me 24 mpg. I have seen as high as 30 and as low as 17.65 depending on conditions and driving style.

Cruising down the interstate at a very brisk pace usually gets me around 27-29mpg depending on how brisk I make that pace. ;)

·
Member For Life
50 Posts
I get around 27 MPG during the Summer with the A/C running, 29 or so in the winter. Most of my driving is mixed. About 40/60 in-town / highway. Strangely enough, it doesn't vary much regardless of my driving style. I usually get 350+ miles per tank. I'll usually let it run down until the low fuel warning light comes on.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
I usually get about 24-25 MPG with ANY driving conditions (really rough/smooth, with/without A/C) isn't that strange? I have NEVER seen below 23.5. Pretty Decent for a convertible w/ an auto tranny!

·
Premium Member
11,013 Posts
I get about 28 or so mpg. The seat has a spring under it that pulls the seat forward when you pull the lever up.Is the knob broken or is the spring off? If the spring is off the back of the seat goes forward but the bottom stays put.It's an easy fix if you have the spring.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Gas mileage

My driving is about 70/30, open road vs. city and I consistently get about 420 miles between fill-ups. That number has gone down to 380 at the worst. I have a 2001 1.8t sport. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know exactly how you feel,
I have a 2005 New Beetle Convertible with just under 3k miles and the MPG is just absolutly horrid, i get worse gas milage then big V8 trucks, cameros, mustangs you name it and i get worse, a whooping 16mpg is the absolute best ive gotten, I've ran 97 RON fuel in it (approx 93 US grade O+M /2)to no avail. Basically what people have told me is to wait until the break-in period is over and see what the numbers are.. Time will tell i suppose.....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts