NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gas mileage do you guys get on your 2.5L? I've been calculating mine since I bought it just for fun and I'm only getting 18-20 mpg in town. What are you guys getting?

·
5/23/10 <3
10,919 Posts
Do you have an auto or manual? The auto will get slightly lower MPGs than a manual.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
So related to driving habits and traffic conditions of "in town". Ditto as to a stick getting better mileage than an auto.

M.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an automatic. So I guess that does make a difference. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage though.
Today I started learning how to drive in triptonic!

·
volks r cool
273 Posts
2.5 m.p.g

I usually get 27-28 over all...(auto 08 vert.)But..if u got ur foot into most time it will be considerbly lower....

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
I have an automatic. So I guess that does make a difference. I didn't buy it for the gas mileage though.
Today I started learning how to drive in triptonic!
There is also the [2] position on the automatic side. Sportier pattern with no shifting! Of course the mileage will go down.

Having grown up, street racing, back when cars were fast, and there wasn't much chance of getting caught if they couldn't catch you, I learned quickly that the right A/T can trump a stick any day. Had a 389 Pontiac with a three speed Hydramatic that Pontiac actually used in their racing divison, and a 426 Buick with a two speed Dynaflow, that contrary to what the book said about needing to shift out of 1st at about 50, I could run to 80 without loosing power and needing to shift. Wasn't a Chevy 396 Hurst or an Olds 442 Hurst around that could touch either one of them. The good 'ole days! :)

Also don't believe they necessarily get worse gas mileage.

M.

·
Registered
10 Posts
27mpg

Been calculating mine since I got the car. My normal commute is backroads/highway/some city. Then of course running around town and whatnot. I've gotten 27mpg literally every time, except once I got 28mpg when I drove to the beach. Once I got 26mpg when I drove with a heavy foot :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do a mix of city and highway driving as my job calls for me to drive all over the place regularly. I have an '06 with an automatic. I generally leave it in drive the whole time, rarely using the Tiptronic or Sport mode. I consistently get 27 mpg overall.

BTW, we bought our Beetle brand new five years ago and have had no repairs other than replacing tires and battery. I am about to hit 70,000 miles and it runs like it did when it was new. Just wanted to give a shout out to its dependability.:clap:

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a 2009 S automatic that I generally get 27-28 mpg here locally with not many hills to speak of. My best gas mileage was on my way to the TOD 2011 get together earlier this year and I got an amazing 34.88 mpg with one tank on the way down and 34.4 mpg on another tank on the way back. I thought for sure I blew the calculation on the first tank but that one on the way back confirmed the first. On a trip to Pa a couple weekends ago I got 31.2. They are the exception though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts