NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's 2006 NB convertible smells like gas around the exhaust pipe when she starts it in the morning. It doesn't do this any other time of day. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Does she have a check engine light on? Even if not there might be codes stored. Go to Autozone and have them scan it for codes and then post them here.

If it is running rich there should be a code. Could be a lot of things. Does it make any funny noises at start up?
Could be the SAIP pump or perhaps a faulty O2 Sensor?
Without codes this all is just pure speculation.

Get it scanned and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
My daughter's 2006 NB convertible smells like gas around the exhaust pipe when she starts it in the morning. It doesn't do this any other time of day. Any ideas?
Which engine do you have? My 1999 2.0 will sometimes do the same thing and will idle rough at the same time. Only happens after sitting overnight or especially a couple of days or more. It will go away after running a couple of minutes. There are no error codes set.

I found the problem to be a sticking fuel injector. I cured it by switching brands of gas. My car doesn't like Valero gas. You could also run some fuel injector cleaner through the gas as well. I find Techron brand works well. A 20 gallon size with 3/4 tank of gas works well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No codes, no lights, no noises and it runs fine...just the smell of gas. It only happens the very first time she cranks it for the day.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
No they are not. ;) Why does it matter?
sed1117 is reporting a potential problem with the EVAP system (this is the part of the emissions system that prevents fuel vapors from entering the atmosphere). If the vehicle is PZEV then it has a special EVAP system that is covered by a 15 year/150,000 mile warranty. You would want to be sure that a dealer services any EVAP problems to be sure not to void the warranty.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts