NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I just had a couple general questions that I was hoping to get some brief feedback on before ordering new beetle.

I plan to get a convertible. I am trying to decide on the TDI vs the Turbo gas. Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but no thread jumped out at me. If anyone knows of any good pro/ con threads let me know.

Some of my concerns/ questions revolve around future minor power and suspension mods.

1) I read that the TDI rear end is not as advanced as the Turbo. Are there still plenty of suspension upgrades for TDI? Should this difference even play a part in decision?

2) how about power upgrades? I read somewhere that the TDI get a healthy boost from chip and retune? I also read that they are redoing the TDI engine in a year?

3) do the convertibles get a reinforced chassis over the hard tops?

If someone plans to do and performance mods, should they basically do the Turbo gas? Again, I am talking minor mods...nothing too drastic

Thanks everyone!

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Hello everyone,

I just had a couple general questions that I was hoping to get some brief feedback on before ordering new beetle.

I plan to get a convertible. I am trying to decide on the TDI vs the Turbo gas. Sorry if this has been discussed ad nauseam, but no thread jumped out at me. If anyone knows of any good pro/ con threads let me know.

Some of my concerns/ questions revolve around future minor power and suspension mods.

1) I read that the TDI rear end is not as advanced as the Turbo. Are there still plenty of suspension upgrades for TDI? Should this difference even play a part in decision?

2) how about power upgrades? I read somewhere that the TDI get a healthy boost from chip and retune? I also read that they are redoing the TDI engine in a year?

3) do the convertibles get a reinforced chassis over the hard tops?

If someone plans to do and performance mods, should they basically do the Turbo gas? Again, I am talking minor mods...nothing too drastic

Thanks everyone!
Hmm, i will do my best. :)
1) the rear ends should be the same... There are lots of upgrade possibilities out there for ya.
2) not sure... I would guess a chip and tune would help the performance. The TDIs, from what i understand are fairly peppy. They do get a good amount of carbon build up in the intake...
3) Yes. The underside is reinforced. All i know is there is a metal plate under the engine, vs plastic on the hard tops.

These cars accept mods very well, Vert or not. The possibilities are endless. Performance mods vary between gas and diesel... If i could choose i would take the TDI.

Hope this helps...if not it will serve as a good long BUMP. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm, i will do my best. :)
1) the rear ends should be the same... There are lots of upgrade possibilities out there for ya.
2) not sure... I would guess a chip and tune would help the performance. The TDIs, from what i understand are fairly peppy. They do get a good amount of carbon build up in the intake...
3) Yes. The underside is reinforced. All i know is there is a metal plate under the engine, vs plastic on the hard tops.

These cars accept mods very well, Vert or not. The possibilities are endless. Performance mods vary between gas and diesel... If i could choose i would take the TDI.

Hope this helps...if not it will serve as a good long BUMP. :)

Thanks!

Why would you do the TDI?

Also, I am pretty sure I read that the TDI has a simple straight bar axle or something in back and the Turbo gas had some multi link rear suspension. I understand they are both FWD cars. But do those differences limit sway bar and strut etc type choices? I wish I could see a pic of what they were talking about

·
Registered
950 Posts
You're discussing a new, 2013 model? Your post wasn't quite clear if you were talking about a new car or a new to you car.

Also you mentioned a TDI and convertible, which I don't think are options available together in the North American market. Are you in Europe or somewhere else?

edit: HOLY CROW, they have TDI/Convertible options at VW.COM!?!?

Never did I expect to see them bring out TDI verts in the US market.

·
Apprentice Org-aholic!
1,471 Posts
Thanks!

Also, I am pretty sure I read that the TDI has a simple straight bar axle or something in back and the Turbo gas had some multi link rear suspension. I understand they are both FWD cars. But do those differences limit sway bar and strut etc type choices? I wish I could see a pic of what they were talking about
I would do TDI because of the miles per gallon, and the engines last quite a bit longer than gas. Also, if i had a TDI i would also look into biodiesel and make my own.

I guess i am not sure about the rear end...i will have to look into that. That something good to know.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Thanks!

The tech specs at VW.com for the 2013 is showing the front/rear nearly the same on the Turbo and TDI, the Turbo is listed as having a 23mm bar in the front while the TDI has a 22mm, both have the same description for the rear.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You're discussing a new, 2013 model? Your post wasn't quite clear if you were talking about a new car or a new to you car.

Also you mentioned a TDI and convertible, which I don't think are options available together in the North American market. Are you in Europe or somewhere else?
Yes, sorry...2013 model.

I am in USA. I guess for 2013 they do have a TDI convert

I suppose what it comes down to is I wanted to hear some pros/cons of each to help me choose and I did not really come across any threads.

I was initially leaning towards the TDI...but then I read about the rear end which I interpreted as less desirable.

Then I was curious if they both accept some mild HP/Torq increases of maybe 25 to 50 hp or so?

I believe I picked up somewhere that the TDI has a lot of gain from a chip and retune

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would do TDI because of the miles per gallon, and the engines last quite a bit longer than gas. Also, if i had a TDI i would also look into biodiesel and make my own.

I guess i am not sure about the rear end...i will have to look into that. That something good to know.
Does anything need to be done to run biodiesel?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tech specs at VW.com for the 2013 is showing the front/rear nearly the same on the Turbo and TDI, the Turbo is listed as having a 23mm bar in the front while the TDI has a 22mm, both have the same description for the rear.
Hmmm....I found that info on some website reviewing the 2013 TDI. One of the major players like autotrend or car and driver or something....I can look for review and post link

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found it!

Dynamically, It's a Bug

Under section "dynamically it's a bug"

What do you all make of this??

·
Registered
950 Posts
Found it!

Dynamically, It's a Bug

Under section "dynamically it's a bug"

What do you all make of this??
That's a Coupe, the Convertibles appear to use the same suspension across the board according to the VW.com tech specs, which is multi-link, 2.5, TDI, or Turbo. The Turbo's only difference on a convertible appears to be a heavier bar in the front for a stiffer sportier ride.

Likely technical reasons related to either need for a stiffer lower frame, or just room for the convertible roof are why the TDI uses a different suspension in the convertible.

·
Registered
950 Posts
As for performance tuning, I don't know that I'd recommend buying a new car and immediately start modifying the engine parameters by changing the ECM. That will almost certainly void any warranty.

Now if we're talking about a 2003 used TDI with a manual transmission, hoo boy, upgrades AHOY Captain!

Grab those chip tune ups, upgrade the tranny, and other mods, maybe a bigger turbo, and you've gone from a 100HP toy poodle to a 170HP bull dog.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's a Coupe, the Convertibles appear to use the same suspension across the board according to the VW.com tech specs, which is multi-link, 2.5, TDI, or Turbo. The Turbo's only difference on a convertible appears to be a heavier bar in the front for a stiffer sportier ride.

Likely technical reasons related to either need for a stiffer lower frame, or just room for the convertible roof are why the TDI uses a different suspension in the convertible.
good point...I guess I read the article and thought TDI convertible would be same.

thanks for helping to piece this data together for me

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As for performance tuning, I don't know that I'd recommend buying a new car and immediately start modifying the engine parameters by changing the ECM. That will almost certainly void any warranty.

Now if we're talking about a 2003 used TDI with a manual transmission, hoo boy, upgrades AHOY Captain!

Grab those chip tune ups, upgrade the tranny, and other mods, maybe a bigger turbo, and you've gone from a 100HP toy poodle to a 170HP bull dog.
well...I wouldn't do anything right away. I was hoping to to have the car for awhile and just wondering which one could be hopped up a little. I guess they both can. sounds like engine is the only difference now.

does the TDI world have lots of hop up choices too? are there aftermarket turbos?
sorry, I am not familiar with the diesels...but kinda want to try one. I am more use to Subaru's and Chevy's.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,173 Posts
A big question is how much driving do you do and what type is it? If you don't drive much and a lot of it is city, a TDI isn't the best fit. They perform best when driven a lot and driven on the highway. They need to get up to temp consistently to get the most life and performance out of them.

·
Registered
950 Posts
A big question is how much driving do you do and what type is it? If you don't drive much and a lot of it is city, a TDI isn't the best fit. They perform best when driven a lot and driven on the highway. They need to get up to temp consistently to get the most life and performance out of them.
I agree, with my 98 the first 8 years we lived in the city and our drive to work was under 20km home and back. So the bug only put on 60,000km in those 8 years. After we moved out of the city I had to get work done on the turbo because it was gunked up from never getting exercised.

The TDI did use very little fuel which was good, sometimes a tank would last us 2 months.

For upgrades, and this is only the older TDI's I'm discussing as I've not done any research on newer TDI engines, there are indeed a lot of upgrades that can be done to boost the engine.

You can read up more about TDI performance upgrades at this blog here: TDI Performance | Volkswagen Diesels & Other News at TDI Blog

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the Dakotas and Front Range, so probably more open road driving. Thanks for that input as well

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree, with my 98 the first 8 years we lived in the city and our drive to work was under 20km home and back. So the bug only put on 60,000km in those 8 years. After we moved out of the city I had to get work done on the turbo because it was gunked up from never getting exercised.

The TDI did use very little fuel which was good, sometimes a tank would last us 2 months.

For upgrades, and this is only the older TDI's I'm discussing as I've not done any research on newer TDI engines, there are indeed a lot of upgrades that can be done to boost the engine.

You can read up more about TDI performance upgrades at this blog here: TDI Performance | Volkswagen Diesels & Other News at TDI Blog
We are leaning towards TDI, thanks for link

·
Registered
152 Posts
My son has a '00 bug hard top with 300,000+ miles and it still gets 50+ miles per gallon. It also runs on waste oil(used motor oil 1/2 and 1/2 with diesel) and still gets the same mileage. Other than the usual gremlins it is a great car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts