VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 1999 NB GLS. At first glance I thought it was maybe just a GL because it didn't have fog lights, but when I got the title it clearly says it's a GLS, and it has a clean title so I wouldn't assume the front bumper has been changed (although you never know). I was just wondering if in '99 the GLS didn't come with fog lights or if mine are missing. Also, it doesn't have a center armrest (I know I have seen other '99 GLS models without them as well) and I was wondering if that was something that wasn't added until a later year or you had to pay to upgrade to. Finally, what year did the cupholders change? I test drove an '01 sport and it had the swivel cupholders, but then I also saw an '01 with the style cupholders mine has. Was it a mid-year change, or did the '01 just have it because it was a sport model.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just curious and want to know more about NBs :)

·
Super Moderator
5,367 Posts
As far as I remember the gls always had fog lights. Maybe yours had the lower facia busted up and they replaced it with a non fog light facia. As for the cup holders I believe it was a mid 01 change.

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was maybe thinking about the fog lights, I might have to see if there is still possibly a connection there for them. Thank you for your response!:)

·
Human
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As far as I remember the gls always had fog lights. Maybe yours had the lower facia busted up and they replaced it with a non fog light facia. As for the cup holders I believe it was a mid 01 change.
After working on some things under the car, I did find a connection for the fog lights. So as you said I assuming it was broken and the replaced with one without fog lights (cheaper i suppose).

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
cheaper

After working on some things under the car, I did find a connection for the fog lights. So as you said I assuming it was broken and the replaced with one without fog lights (cheaper i suppose).
cheaper is correct, a raccoon decided to not move out of my way a while back, I try to avoid him but he busted my grill/ fog lights. I ended up putting a grille without the lights since it was a 100 dollar difference in price on ebay. For 100 dollars saving in my pocket I can do without fog lights.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts