NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 vw beetle 2.5L
The battery light is still blinking very slowly after following repairs while engine is running.
Replaced alternator with bosch reman from Autozone. Had tested at store twice on their machine and passes test. 140amp.

Ran new 4 awg wire from alternator with thicker contacts than OE. (professionally crimped and sealed with shrink tubing) Tests at .2 ohm approx. Installed a 100 amp inline fuse between alt. wire and fuse box and then from fuse to the fuse box with same ends and gauge as previously stated.

Ohm'd wire harness while disconected from vehicle. Checking at alt. plug and plug that connects under starter 2pin at alt and 4 pin at starter. Both wires tested at .2 ohm. and no short to any other wires.

I've cleaned every contact from battery posts down to the alternator.

Reason for previous repairs was that fuse box on top of battery had melted and charred on the alt. wire connection (150 amp slot). Loss of charging was also found. Fuse box was replaced.

I have tried connecting alt wire direct to battery w/and w/o inline fuse. I have checked negative battery connections. I've also ran as a test an additional wire from battery to frame and engine to ensure propper ground.

Battery checks out at 650 cca and 12.56 volts after 24 hour trickle charge and 10 hours of setting. tested 3 times. also load tested voltage would drop approx 1-1.5 volts for the 10 second period and would return to 12.5 volts fairly quickly.
I have also tried a new seperate battery with previous tests included and still problem persists.

While engine is running battery will remain at 12.16 volts and slowly decline with time. voltage has been checked at alt and battery test results were same at both points.

I am at a loss for what is preventing this vehicle from charging the battery. I have read in other related articles that perhaps the alternators that aren't of vw bosch do not like to play ball with the ecm/control module. I might of missed something that I have done.

So feel free to ask questions because I am ready to burn it to the ground. Or end up sending it to vw for them to mess with.

Feedback and insight are greatly welcomed :)

·
Super Moderator
14,750 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of the issues. I'm no mechanic, but from what I read, I'll bet the remanufactured altenator is the culprit. :dunno: As you know, our New Beetles are fickle beasts sometimes. The melted fuse box might have something to do with it, maybe.

I can just wish you good luck, and keep us posted with any updates. Maybe what you find will help someone with the same problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for responding Dnyed. Nothing has changed today, I called the VW dealership and it will be 400 for an alternator from them, I'm going to try a few things before I pay that much.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update

I will be taking our bug by the parts store to have them load test the electrical system. If no solutions come of the test I will again remove the alternator and take it to a rebuilder to have them test it and if possible repair or tweak my new alternator.

On a side note an alt. From vw is a bosch reman and they want 465 with a 100 dollar core. Now does that seem like robbery to anyone? I would expect that for a new one but a reman?

Does anyone know outside of purchasing a bently how the alt. on our beetle operates wether the wired plug excites or breaks the field to charge and what those two wires do wether they supply voltage or resistance and what those readings need to be?

Is there a test with a volt ohm meter for the alt. by itself?

Thanks again I will try to update when I can. Help or insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update

Store bought alternator was found to have a bad regulator, putting out 11.86v and 30amps. Ordering one next week, I will update more when it comes in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
WOOHOO! fixed

Thanks to a local VW shop in Joplin, Mo named HOVW or House Of Volkswagen ;) (Named Dropping) Our bug is now on the road once again and in excellent running condition. Since HOVW didn't have an alternator on hand they assisted us in finding a reputable online distributor to purchase our new part. It happened to be a reman. genuine VW bosch 140 amp alternator. :D
From their wisdom and working knowledge of store bought alternators I was infromed that more often than not those parts were found to be faulty. HA no suprise there (sorry autozone and orielly's).

Don't cheap out guys buy a genuine vw part its the only way your are going to get your car back on the road. Below is the link for the part we ordered. 140 AMP BOSCH ALTERNATOR FOR 2006 2007 2008 2009 VOLKSWAGEN BEETLE 2.5L (0-124-525-095, 0-124-525-103, 07K-903-023C) - BOSCH REBUILT ALTERNATOR

p.s. our new alternator is putting down 14.75 volts :D and with the mods to the fuse box and alternator wire nothing is getting hot even with all accessories on and a/c on full tilt. Will post a follow up in a week to see if our bug endures the 100+ temperatures that are to follow.

·
Super Moderator
14,750 Posts
I guessed it right? I feel so smart! :crazy:

·
volks r cool
273 Posts
gen lite

thnk u lord!!!!..I dont EVEN think about buying anything for my buggy(replacement parts) but from dealership or similar......

·
5/23/10 <3
11,075 Posts
There are plenty of good online parts suppliers that sell OEM parts at much cheaper prices than the dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts