VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking for advice/experiences with a problem my 2006 2.5L automatic new beetle is having. Twice now, I have been driving and suddenly the generator light comes on, and the engine shuts off completely. I am able to start the car right back up and drive free of problems. I've taken it to VW- claimed no faults came back, and the charging system was fine but my tensioner and serpentine belt were worn- had that replaced a little over two months ago. Was fine for a while until today when the exact same problem happened. Any insight on this problem would be much apprecriated

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was told by a mechanic that the code that came up was "too much air at idle". He checked my system for leaks and various other problems that could cause this code, but found nothing- vaccum system is leak free. He could not get the problem to repeat itself ( which doesn't surprise me bc it's only happened to me twice). He did mention it could be a result of the cold. Any ideas as to what could be causing excess air?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Do you have the actual code number? The description isn't really all that helpful, since many readers don't interpret codes correctly.

Have you had the wires/grounds checked?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the mechanic never gave me the code that popped up. It hasn't happened again since, and has only occured in the cold. No wires have been tested that I'm aware of- but my charging system (generator/battery) was tested and was fine

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My stallingproblem began getting more frequent, so I took it to a different mechanic who got two codes: P2279 and P0172. this mechanic seems sure these codes were thrown because of a faulty air intake cover that was sticking, causing the engine to cut out. He replaced this cover, which came as an assembly with an air intake breather.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts