VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 beetle, and I had been out driving my car for about an hour. I let it idle for a while- about 45 minutes (waiting for someone who claimed they would be in and out fast). I was driving it home, when all the sudden the generator light came on, and my engine seemed to die out slowly. I did not notice anything out of the oridnary before this happened. I needed to get it off the road, so I tried restarting it, and as soon as I flicked on my headlights- the same thing happened and the car died again. However, I let it sit for about 5 minutes and retried it for a third time. I turned everything off in the car- the radio, the heat, the heated sites and the headlights. It was fine, and I managed to make it to a parking lot. Everything seemed fine when I drove it into the parking lot.

Is this a bad alternator problem? or something else? I plan to take it to VW tomorrow but I love my bug, and want to get any opinions I can about this problem. Thanks! :D

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
Take the car to autozone, etc. and they can test the battery and alternator for you for free. I wouldn't go to the dealer just yet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had it tested, the whole charging system tested out fine. They did find an oil leak and a loose serpentine belt. Would this cause my car's generator light to turn on while driving then have the car die on me? I need to drive it 100+ miles on wednesday so any input would be greatly appreciated! While idiling I had the headlights on, the seat warmers on, the heat on and the defroster on. Would this cause the battery/generator to suck up too much power too quickly and just be a one time thing? Thanks!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts
A loose serp belt will have an affect on the charging so it could be the cause.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will the loose/frayed serpentine belt cause the car's engine to turn off while also making steering hard? Sorry I don't know much about cars and want to get other ideas of possible things it could be, since no error codes came back!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,412 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay thank you, I'll see if they can tighten the belt.. and then once I get home possibly replace it, after I get a second opinion. Hopefully the problem I had with it is as simple as that :/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts