NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello NB Community,

I'm getting a stage 1 tune on the bug over the next few weeks. My question to y'all is - how does a 215HP/250TQ tune fare with an OEM 1.8T clutch? My clutch has around 50K miles (Luk OEM Replacement) on it and shows no signs of slippage in any condition currently. I'm hoping that a stage 1 tune won't slip the clutch too much.

I went APR Stage 1 on my previously owned MKV GTI with the EA888 first gen motor and on the very first drive after the flash - immediately I could tell that the clutch would slip if you rolled into boost at lower RPM in a higher gear, especially in colder weather. After the tune, I had to re-learn how to roll into the new power/torque curve given the shove was more violent and thrashing the stock clutch in low RPM/Higher Gears. Albeit, that tune was putting down like 270HP/300TQ at the crank. After learning to drive with the new tune as it related to the clutch situation, I never needed to replace it and ended up putting 40K miles on the tune before selling the car.

Any insight would be appreciated as I'm interested to know how the OEM 1.8T clutch fares on a stage 1 tune.

Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey there,

I’ve gotta start out with complimenting you on your beauty of a Beetle! I’ve read through your posts and updates and I’m glad to see the care, planning and pride you’ve put into it! Great job!

I’ve got a 2002 Turbo-S and I’m still in the process of gathering parts for successful stage 2 tune (upgraded downpipe and exhaust is all that’s left to purchase and get installed). I also have a 2004 GTI 1.8t with a stage 0+1+2 switchable tunes and 6sp swapped to 6-sp manual tranny) that I am trying to completely replicate in mods, so that’s where my experience stems from.

A stock 5 speed clutch will be just fine with a stage 1 tune, for normal driving. Clutch age and driving habit are obvious variables to consider for your situation. A stock 5 speed clutch should get you by with a stage 2 tune, if you’re more of a refined driver and are not stabbing and kicking your accelerator pedal. Another future performance option is to hold out for a 6sp swap with a new clutch. I decreased 800-900 rpm in top gear at 80mph and increased MPG when I did the swap.

I would not hesitate to opt for a switchable tuned-ECU and just buy an OEM vr6/g60 clutch set to have on deck. Your clutch will die out at some point and the vr6/g60 clutch set would be a great 5-speed upgrade to handle torque, without sacrificing pedal feel. After seeing what you’ve modded so far, stage 2 isn’t too far out of reach for you, if you only want to pay for one tune.

Anyway, those are all just suggestions. Once you have a (partially) clear vision of what you ultimately want, it’s easy to map out savings, parts, and labor so you’re not wasting anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey there,

I’ve gotta start out with complimenting you on your beauty of a Beetle! I’ve read through your posts and updates and I’m glad to see the care, planning and pride you’ve put into it! Great job!

I’ve got a 2002 Turbo-S and I’m still in the process of gathering parts for successful stage 2 tune (upgraded downpipe and exhaust is all that’s left to purchase and get installed). I also have a 2004 GTI 1.8t with a stage 0+1+2 switchable tunes and 6sp swapped to 6-sp manual tranny) that I am trying to completely replicate in mods, so that’s where my experience stems from.

A stock 5 speed clutch will be just fine with a stage 1 tune, for normal driving. Clutch age and driving habit are obvious variables to consider for your situation. A stock 5 speed clutch should get you by with a stage 2 tune, if you’re more of a refined driver and are not stabbing and kicking your accelerator pedal. Another future performance option is to hold out for a 6sp swap with a new clutch. I decreased 800-900 rpm in top gear at 80mph and increased MPG when I did the swap.

I would not hesitate to opt for a switchable tuned-ECU and just buy an OEM vr6/g60 clutch set to have on deck. Your clutch will die out at some point and the vr6/g60 clutch set would be a great 5-speed upgrade to handle torque, without sacrificing pedal feel. After seeing what you’ve modded so far, stage 2 isn’t too far out of reach for you, if you only want to pay for one tune.

Anyway, those are all just suggestions. Once you have a (partially) clear vision of what you ultimately want, it’s easy to map out savings, parts, and labor so you’re not wasting anything.

This is exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks for the quick reply, I actually just purchased the Motoza Stage 1 Tune/Cable last night. Given the current situation, remote tuning just might be a more convenient and less stressful experience for me (hopefully). I read the previous reviews in other forums about Motoza and what it appears to boil down to do is just having a little more patience with the actual tuning process. Also, it appears that this tuning process is way more customizable compared to standard canned tunes (i.e., Unitronic & APR), which for the price of patience is worth it to me.

I just finished filling out the powertrain spec sheet and added as much detail as I could. I even added chassis/suspension details, just in case the tune can somehow be tweaked by these inputs.

Anyways, thank you very much for the feedback on the build! I appreciate the kind words and am glad I can shed some positive vibes within the community.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m glad you made it through my lengthy reply. Lol. I’m more glad that it made sense and was useful.

Albeit currently rough around the edges, here are some PFA before I swap spoilers, paint the whole car, install new headlights, and redo the headliner.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Wow! That is an awesome looking Turbo-S - well done!!! Do you have a build thread on NB.org? Also, liking the tastefull MKV GTI steering wheel swap, looks factory at first glance and pairs nicely with your interior color options! I see you've done some chassis stabilization as well, along with a nice intake/TIP and upgraded DV. I bet its a blast to drive with that 6sp box.

I went for a little drive today and got a few pictures of the bug in chill mode. Gonna use them as thumbnails on my YT channel:

I'm stoked about the tune! I'm expecting a similar step up in torque as I experienced on my MKV GTI with APR stage 1. Hopefully Motoza can code out the CEL for the rear 02. However, if not it's ok. It's keeping my airbag light company :cool:

·
Registered
701 Posts
Have you read the computer with vcds. The airbag light is likely the driver side seat belt buckle. Common problem fairly easy to fix or replace.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the airbag code is due to when the car was stolen and ransacked in the hands of the previous owner. They ripped out the stereo and chopped the wiring harness. I need to pull the radio again and find where the disconnection to igniter is happening. VCDS tells me that it’s the igniter resistance too high. But when I had a new radio installed they found the issue back there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If I remember correctly, its the driver front airbag. I know there is wiring near the stereo harness that goes to the driver airbag, and I think maybe a little module? When I had the stereo installed, they found the disconnection back behind the radio. Maybe I'll get around to pulling the head unit in the next few weeks. Just to assess what repairs I need to make.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts