NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone, first post here. :)

I have a new-to-me '04 Beetle that I brought not too long ago as my first car. Everything seems fine, looks good, and the car drives ok, haven't noticed anything bad about it... except the MPG... Full tank is getting me some 230 miles (NON-highway), give or take.

It has under 32,000 miles on it, has been garaged & babied by the previous owner, recent oil change, O2 sensors... no other major work.

I know that the car is 10 years old and even though it's been used little, it could probably use some check-ups or updated parts... I just don't know what.
What would be worth doing? What should I hold off on?

And one more thing... I had the gas cap warning light come on 3 times- and all three times it was when the temperature outside shifted from really cold to warm and vice versa (gotta love Illinois weather). The third time this happened, the check engine light came on, giving the P0455 error code (gas cap warning/large leak in EVAP system). I kept the same gas cap I had because it looked fine, just tightened it a bit, had the code canceled, and since then, no warning lights or gas cap lights, weather has also stabilized a bit.

Anyone had similar experiences? Any advice for this new bug owner?

Thanks!

·
Registered
423 Posts
How long does the blue coolant light stay on? Does it go out after 5 minutes at idle or after a couple miles of driving? If it seems to stay on for a long time I would recommend changing the coolant temperature sensor($10). When they start to fail, they usually don't set off codes. That's the only thing I can think of since your bug doesn't have a CEL on or any codes. Good luck!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long does the blue coolant light stay on? Does it go out after 5 minutes at idle or after a couple miles of driving? If it seems to stay on for a long time I would recommend changing the coolant temperature sensor($10). When they start to fail, they usually don't set off codes. That's the only thing I can think of since your bug doesn't have a CEL on or any codes. Good luck!

Hi, the coolant light does come up blue when I first start it up (thought it was coming on because of the cold outside), does stay on for a few miles. Would probably be a good idea to see to that and have it replaced. Thanks!

And one more question, where do you guys purchase your VW parts? Would places like Autozone carry them? Or eBay (if so, what kind should I get, they range from $6-15, will there be a difference)?

·
Registered
423 Posts
Hi, the coolant light does come up blue when I first start it up (thought it was coming on because of the cold outside), does stay on for a few miles. Would probably be a good idea to see to that and have it replaced. Thanks!

And one more question, where do you guys purchase your VW parts? Would places like Autozone carry them? Or eBay (if so, what kind should I get, they range from $6-15, will there be a difference)?
You can get the sensor at Autozone, Napa, etc. Just make sure you get a green sensor not blue or black. Get a O-ring($1) for the sensor too. Look on youtube for a good video to help you, it's the same process with Golf and Jetta's as with the New Beetle.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Has it had the timing belt & water pump changed? While you have low miles, for age purpose, you want to change that before the belt brakes, it can destroy the engine.

For fuel mileage, when I bought my '05, it took a few hundred miles before the automatic transmission adapted to my driving style, then the fuel mileage went from about 18 mpg to 23 mpg in town, I also took it on a 1600 mile trip :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get the sensor at Autozone, Napa, etc. Just make sure you get a green sensor not blue or black. Get a O-ring($1) for the sensor too. Look on youtube for a good video to help you, it's the same process with Golf and Jetta's as with the New Beetle.

Thanks!

Has it had the timing belt & water pump changed? While you have low miles, for age purpose, you want to change that before the belt brakes, it can destroy the engine.

For fuel mileage, when I bought my '05, it took a few hundred miles before the automatic transmission adapted to my driving style, then the fuel mileage went from about 18 mpg to 23 mpg in town, I also took it on a 1600 mile trip :)
Hi, I know the belt hasn't been changed, not sure about the pump, though, will see to that.

Hmm, I've never heard of something like that with a car... hopefully mine warms up a bit too. I know that the previous owner did not drive it and kept it in storage during the winter months, so maybe it still hasn't really woken up. And I do know that the previous owner did just about all highway miles with it, I'm doing mainly city miles.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys!

So I went out and purchased the coolant sensor and a new gas cap, will put those in soon.

Also, used up another tank of gas, this time I averaged about 20 MPG non-highway driving. Better, hopefully it climbs a little higher once I get her moving a bit more.

Also plan on that new timing belt and pump sometime in the next month or two, once it gets a bit more warmer and I have time to take the car in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts