NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the VW world. I am going tomorrow to buy a 2004 Beetle Turbo. It's black with creme interior. It has 68,000 miles and I'm getting a good deal on it. I'm use to having sporty cars and this is going to be a change. Coming from a 3000gt Vr4 to this will take some getting use to, but the wife loves the Beetle. What are some bolt on upgrades that can be done and what are some things about this car that I need to take in consideration. I do know of one flaw on this car. The spoiler is not working, I don't know if there is a cable or what...but, it it seems disconnected from the electric motor. Other than that, the car in in great condition. How hard is it to hook up a disc changer? It only has the Monsoon with cassette. Like I said, I'm new to these cars. Great advice would be wonderful!

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
Welcome to the Org, :wave2: and Welcome to the New Beetle! :party:

You are at the right corner of the web, to meet great people, learn all about your new-to-you New Beetle, and get some technical help from experts. Congrats for finding us! :lol:

Since I am the "queen of stock", I cannot help with mods. The only mods I do are Monster Mats, bra, and roof rack. :eek:

The trunk mounted CD changer is a snap to set up. But, it may be worthwhile to just get a new HU.

We Love Pics! :D

·
Registered
553 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on the beetle. Before you consider the disc changer you might want to budget in a new timing belt and idler bearings with water pump. The VW is notorious for loosing timing belts early. The 1.8l turbo is very expensive to repair once you loose a belt. If the deal is not done, you might want the dealer to do the work and work in the price.

·
Registered
553 Posts
How much does labor go for to replace TB,WP?
At a dealer you can expect about 900 parts and labor. a good independant shop about 700 or so and if you get teh parts and do it yourself about 75 in parts to do the t blet, wp, idler and tensioner pulley and serpentine belt. Money well spent IMHO

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
working in price

I don't think he can show documention of this being done. So, I'm going to work on price with the dealer and knock off some money. I have a cousin who can do this so much cheaper. I found the every thing you need on ebay. It was 189.00 for all the parts. Have you seen this on Ebay?

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is this kit

Brand NEW Timing Belt Kit for Audi TT Audi TT Quattro VW Volkswagen Golf, Jetta and Beetle

(See chart below for details)

Email us if you have any question.

It is the buyer’s responsibility to ensure they purchase the right unit.

This KIT includes the following new items:

Elring Camshaft Seal x2

Conti/Continental Timing Belt

T-belt Dampner/Tensioner

Tensioner Roller

Reinz Tensioner Gasket Kit @ Camshaft Chain

Water Pump with Metal Impellor

Meyle Coolant Thermostat Housing with O-ring

Thermostat with O-ring

Conti/Continental Alternator/Serp Belt

·
Registered
553 Posts
I don't think he can show documention of this being done. So, I'm going to work on price with the dealer and knock off some money. I have a cousin who can do this so much cheaper. I found the every thing you need on ebay. It was 189.00 for all the parts. Have you seen this on Ebay?
I apologize, I have a TDI and the cost is higher. You can get parts thru ECS or any number of locations for about the same price. The only thing I would caution you on is to replace the frt motor mount bolts as they are torque to yield (stretch bolts) and if you do not replace them you run a good chance of them coming loose and breaking the ewar off the block. If this happens you will need to go to dieselgeek to get the block repair kit for about $50.00 Don't ask me how I know this, just believe it to be gosphel. :)

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Everyone around here uses the www.ECSTuning.com kit or a couple others. TB, WP, serpentine belt, both belt tensioners, new mounting bolts, and G12 coolant (special VW coolant). As to the 6cd Changer, it is P&P in the console, and can be had new for between $50 and $100 dollars.

Welcome to the Org!

Lot of information for the NB Newbie here -
http://newbeetle.org/forums/new-member-forum/51021-newbie-welcome-kit.html

As to the "sporty" thing, you might be pleasantly surprised. I've owned two NBTs and I have a basis for comparison if you'll check my signature below.

Enjoy!

MORAV

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looking

The website you recommended will be a car bible for me. It's really great to see people coming together to help me. Thank you so much! It's like my Jeep friends...great people

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Actually, the "bible" for your NB will be a "Bentley"! Either a paper Service Manual or a DVD-ROM Repair Manual (or both). And you do need to shop OEM parts around from online VW Parts Dealers and Resellers. Prices vary by as much as double. That particular vendor is high on many things.

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I found a mechanic in St. Louis that will charge 200.00 labor, not including parts, in which I will buy. I just like buying the parts myself.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Is your Mechanic a VW guy or a mechanic who will work on your VW. You need to find a good VW mechanic for these cars and their "personalities"

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He isn't a VW mechanic, but I know for a fact he has rebuilt at least 5 of them, and they are still on the road. lol

·
He who walks on Ice!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
what are your thoughts?

2004 Nb glx 1.8t...67,000 miles. $8,500 (pretty good condition, clean and runs nice. Smooth shifting and everything works.

·
5/23/10 <3
10,918 Posts
I'd budget for a timing belt/water pump change soon on that car, just FYI. I doubt its been done yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts