NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2003 Turbo S 1.8t

My large fan seized up. The motor will not turn by hand so I am certain that I need to replace it.

Now I have read the threads on how to clean the motor but this one has 100K miles on it so I am not certain how long it will last if I did that. At this point I am also not certain that the controls for the fans are not bad. I say this based on what I have read saying that the motors will go out if the system runs them on the “high” setting for too long due to a malfunction.

So if I were to replace all those pieces together they would run me more than 500 bucks. I also need to get this car back on the road in 2 days (over the weekend) so no time to wait for mail order parts to arrive. I am also 45 miles to the nearest dealer so can’t get to them.

My plan is to buy and install two universal fans and bypass the entire factory fan system.

I will probably buy one 12” fan as the main unit and one 10” fan for the secondary unit. I will wire these through the supplied relays and control them with a probe style temp gauge that comes with the kit.

Total cost for this is less than $200.00 and all the parts are local and off the shelf.

I would like your input and thoughts/concerns.

First question: Should I mount these fans in a push or pull configuration?

Second question: would you wire the second (smaller fan) to come on only when the A/C is on or to the temp probe to come on at any temp above 170? If on only when the a/c is on where would you tap for the signal wire?

Thanks, I will try and post pictures as soon as I can when the job is done.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Bad idea!

If your fan(s) don't cycle, as needed, and as they were designed, your engine will run too cool, and you will have other problems. Promise.

You seem mechanically inclined, you should be able to undersatnd this, hence the second part of your question regarding wiring into the a/c circuit. There are good diagnostics for this system that you should equally be able to do. I can put them up if you drop me a p/m.

MORAV

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say don't cycle I assume that you are referring to turning on when the A/C is on or turning on only after the car has reached operating temperature. Is that right?

Here is the plan. The larger fan will turn on only after the car reaches 170 or 180 degrees as determined by the setting on the temp probe.

The smaller fan will turn on via a tapped signal from the compressor (at least that is the plan right now).

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
The fans don't necessarily run all the time when the engine is at temperature, to the best of my knowledge. When the natuaral cooling is enough they do not operate. They also will come on after the engine is shut down, if the engine continues to warm. Both these comments are confirmed are in several years Owner's Manuals that I have reviewed. Sounds like you are trying to more just change the fans, than to change how they operate through thermal switching. Not meaning to sound like a smart ass, but what's the issue with just properly fixing the ones you have.

M.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PM sent

The real issue is cost and time. I could replace the parts with local store replacements but the fans alone will run me about 400 bucks. Now if the fan control relay or the thermo-switch controler (I think that is what it called) are bad then those parts would most likely need to be ordered and that will make me miss work on Monday. Not to mention the extra cost.

So here I am out in the sticks with slightly limited options on getting this car back up and safely running.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Replied to your p/m, but considering your situation, I will try to get this done sooner for you. But you're right, getting the parts may involve a little time. But so will doing the mods you have in mind, and I don't think it's as simple as buying new fans and figuring out a way to install/mount them and then get them wired properly and operating, unless someone has done this, and has a good DIY on it.

M.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again.

Honestly I have done this to some extent on other vehicles and it really isn't that difficult. The temp sensor supplied with the fan kit will only allow it to work within the operating temperature of the vehicle. So it kicks on between 170 and 180 degrees.

It is the smaller fan that helps with a/c compressor that is only slightly more difficult. It involves getting a signal to the fan relay from the a/c circuit. This can be done fairly easy as long as you decide where best to get that signal.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW is the A/C circuit test the same as the one listed as a sticky on top of this forum. It is listed as a 1995.5 TDI one but I was going to assume that the a/c circuit test was the same.

Thanks again.

Jon

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Here you go! Hope this helps!

BTW is the A/C circuit test the same as the one listed as a sticky on top of this forum. It is listed as a 1995.5 TDI one but I was going to assume that the a/c circuit test was the same.

Thanks again.

Jon
Don't have a clue without a little research, you should be as good at that as me.

Anyway, for both you and others, here is are theBentley diagnostics for the coolant system (breaking all kinds of copyright laws (lol), but maybe Bentley understands I am really promoting the need for anyone who does their own work to own this manual. Just hope the Org will give me more gigs when I run out of alotted storage, considering (lol)...

Hope you have a way to print it out.

P/m'd you with the way to reach me if you need me today.

Good luck!

M.

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

Factory fans are out. It really did take me half a day to do that. To do it my way you still have to remove the lower radiator hose for clearance. Honestly I should have drained the oil and pulled the filter to get a little more room.

I also discovered that the previous owner had mixed different types of coolants. The inlet tubes to the radiator were coated in a white slime. So I took the time to flush the entire system out.

With the existing shroud and fans out of the way I can start installing the new fans. I am using one 12" fan and one 14" fan. I originally thought a 10 & 12 combo but went a little bigger.

Bought two kits to wire these up. One has a adjustable on and off temperature control. This requires placing a temp probe into the upper radiator hose. This allows me to have the fans come on at as low as150 degrees or up to 180.

The second kit is not adjustable but has better relays and wiring I will end up using parts of it too.

Wish me luck.

Jon

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the new fans are in and work fine. I ended up using the factory shroud and fabricating some mounts and drilling some holes so that I could use it.

Both fans are controlled by an adjustable thermostat probe and kick on somewhere around 170 degrees. I did not tap the A/c control circuit yet. I intend to do that next weekend. Right now both fans turn on once the engine gets up to temp. almost 2000 cfm of air between the 12 and 14 inch fans.

This was a real PITA and if you have the money just replace all the factory parts with genuine VW parts. I am not saying my setup is better but it was sure cheaper and faster. That is not always a good thing but it got me out a bind this time.

Sorry guys but no pics but feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Jon

·
Registered
11,584 Posts
I realize you were under a time crunch but they do have aftermarket fan assemblies now that are pretty reasonable; these are probably china or taiwan but definitely cheap compared to vw.

2002 new beetle turbos s fans - Google Search

The Dorman products are generally pretty good; I'm sure offshore but priced much lower then the dealer... pretty much a drop in kit with what looks to be everything you need! Also, including the new fan shroud! Dying fans and broken mounts and shrouds seems to be a common problem! :( Out here is the southwest; all the vw plastics get so brittle with the intense heat, a drop in solution would be nice.

Dorman Products - 620-773

For future reference; you might post up the part # and brands of the motor/conversion you did; just in case someone else decides to do the same. As time goes on; I"m sure more and more people will be trying to find more cost effective solutions to issues such as this.... and not be beholden to the VW dealer only! :)

Here are also some from: bilstein, behr and other brands... just with the fans; prices aren't too bad either. As long as your shroud and other parts are in good shape!

http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/1999/volkswagen/beetle/cooling_system/auxiliary_fan_assembly.html

Febi fans here:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=yoenieq5ykl3x145c2vubozc&[email protected]&[email protected] &year=2001&[email protected] System&[email protected] Fan

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is fantastic info. Again I agree that if time were not an issue then I could/should have gone another route. I had no idea that you could order the fans only.

Eventually I may do this the "right way and revert back to a factory set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts