VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All. Need to replace the totally faded hood and trunk emblems (flat badges, not the raised ones) on a 2002 TDI Beetle I just bought. The hood was cheap and relatively easy to replace ($32.00 from the local dealer + 30 minutes + hair dryer and scraping goo). However the trunk emblem, for some goofball reason costs like $93.00 and apparently is a bitch to remove. So instead of forking out the money right now around the holidays, I painted the emblem with waterproof black metal markers.

Before...

After...

Looks good until I get the real replacements. Plus i ripped off half of my thumb doing the front emblem and need to wait for it to heal ;)

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
both the front and rear emblems (i have the exact same ones) are put on the same way if you DO NOT have a swivel trunk badge. If your trunk badge never moves, you must use the botton to open the trunk and that's what i have. If it swivels and you can insert a key, that's the one that's a bitch to remove and why it costs so much.

Honestly, no matter which version you have the rear is always expensive. If you have the NON-swivel type, it's installed exactly like the front but without the plastic tabs to line it up properly. Either way, if it's non-swivel, you can use the old fishing line method to take it off.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
huskyfan_7 said:
that looks really good. where did you find waterproof black metal markers?
Hobby Lobby. Over in the scrapbook section. They have big fat acrylic markers but these were more like a sharpie. Worked great and it poured here last night and it didn't fade or run.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FineExampl said:
both the front and rear emblems (i have the exact same ones) are put on the same way if you DO NOT have a swivel trunk badge. If your trunk badge never moves, you must use the botton to open the trunk and that's what i have. If it swivels and you can insert a key, that's the one that's a bitch to remove and why it costs so much.

Honestly, no matter which version you have the rear is always expensive. If you have the NON-swivel type, it's installed exactly like the front but without the plastic tabs to line it up properly. Either way, if it's non-swivel, you can use the old fishing line method to take it off.

Sweet. Then I dont have to remove the inside of the rear door! Thats awesome...still doesnt explain why the rear ones are so much more expensive (3x). Even the dealer parts guy was perplexed on that one.

Thanks for the info as all the howto's I found were for the 3d ones.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Billsbug said:
Cuz it connected to the trunk locking mechanism, whether it's swivel, key hole, or plain...
yeah but there is no keyhole in the plain one. the trunk opens with the electronic key or inside with a switch. I looked at the rear emblem and the only difference I could tell is the rear one has a circular indent in the middle top where it latches onto the mechanism. No posts like the front or screw holes. It actually is a bit smaller....weird.

·
Get in.Buckle Up.Hang on.
6,525 Posts
They are all connected to the mechanism in one way or the other AFAIK, and yes the rear badge is smaller than the front badge, the front badge is curved, the rear is flat.

I swapped out my badges when I 1st got the vert. Front is pretty easy as u stated. To remove the rear badge I poked a hole just below the edge of the badge, and using needle nose pliers I gradually pulled up that edge, then I used bigger pliers to pull it completely off. Click my sig for pics.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice bug! does the old skool wolfsburg logo on the steering wheel come standard on that model. Nice job dude. I will try it with the pliers. What did you punch a hole with...drill?

·
6,525 Posts
sgtstadanko said:
nice bug! does the old skool wolfsburg logo on the steering wheel come standard on that model. Nice job dude.
No, it's a billet aluminum badge. I very carefully cut out the VW badge with an open end drill bit, sank it into the wheel just above the airbag and finished it with a perfect fit rubber ring.

sgtstadanko said:
What did you punch a hole with...drill?
I used a really old ice pick. :D

·
Poopship Destroyer
12,736 Posts
Billsbug said:
They are all connected to the mechanism in one way or the other AFAIK, and yes the rear badge is smaller than the front badge, the front badge is curved, the rear is flat.
wrong!

If you DONT have a swivel lock rear badge, it is in NO WAY connected to anything other than bare metal. Want proof, check out my car. The rear badges are grossly overcharged. I got the front badge for $15 and my rear was $50 and it's not even mechanical in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The badge is the photos appears to be identical to what i had and replaced.

·
6,525 Posts
FineExampl said:
wrong!

If you DONT have a swivel lock rear badge, it is in NO WAY connected to anything other than bare metal. Want proof, check out my car. The rear badges are grossly overcharged. I got the front badge for $15 and my rear was $50 and it's not even mechanical in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM. The badge is the photos appears to be identical to what i had and replaced.
Cool, that'll make it easier then. However, mine with the keyhole was connected at the keyhole itself, a PITA to yank off too. So it's just kinda glued on?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
FineExampl said:
wrong!

Kewl. Where did you get the rear for $50. My local dealer wants $93. BTW....nicebug as well! I like the vase mod. I have the XM too and just put in a DF-VW from USA Spec so I don't have to use the tape adapter. It creates 2 aux ports (one for ipod, one for XM) and plugs into your cd changer cable. Mind you no cd's now but I might as well get an 8track as have a cd player ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey All. Need to replace the totally faded hood and trunk emblems (flat badges, not the raised ones) on a 2002 TDI Beetle I just bought. The hood was cheap and relatively easy to replace ($32.00 from the local dealer + 30 minutes + hair dryer and scraping goo). However the trunk emblem, for some goofball reason costs like $93.00 and apparently is a bitch to remove. So instead of forking out the money right now around the holidays, I painted the emblem with waterproof black metal markers.

Before...

After...

Looks good until I get the real replacements. Plus i ripped off half of my thumb doing the front emblem and need to wait for it to heal ;)
Thanks for showing us! I had already purchased the paint markers with this same intention but was a littler leary. This looks great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts