VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dunno, I just did a pump and timing belt and that side of the block is fine, not seeing coolant on the ground but minor insignificant drips around the radiator drain hole. Not burning it and the car runs great. But G12 disappears from the coolant tank setting my warning light into rape mode. Any ideas? Where is it going? It was twice today I had to add half a quart each time , or it goes for days at a time with no issue.
tks Bart

·
Registered
152 Posts
You need to have a radiator shop do a hot and cold pressure test on the cooling system. You can also take a few drips of oil off the dip stick and let them drip on a hot exhaust manifold. If there is any water (even if you can't see it) in the oil it will bubble off. If not, the oil will spread out and just smoke.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
You might consider purchasing this pressure tester from Harbor Freight; it's probably going to be cheaper than what a shop will charge you for one hour of labor pressure testing your car anyway. This particular pressure test kit; has the adapter for our Volkswagens; keep in mind, over time you're going to have coolant leaks if you keep these cars for any amount of time (thanks, to all the plastic coolant parts)! So, getting this kit; is totally worth it and will save you money in the long run. Google search for an extra 20% off HF coupon!

http://m.harborfreight.com/radiator-pressure-tester-kit-69258.html?utm_referrer=direct/not provided

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
rental tool

The test just puts the coolant system under pressure so you can find the leak. Some local parts stores also have a testing kit you can rent just make sure it comes with the radiator adapter for your car.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After work I drove about 6 miles to NAPA for some coolant. This greeted me when I came out, doesn't appear to be from the radiator drain.
I'm thinking a more sinister issue, What are your thoughts? If I have to pull the radiator, can you do it with the nose on the car?

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Looks like you found the general area of your leak,
I believe there is an o-ring in the black plastic fitting with the radiator drain where it connects to the radiator. Hopefully that is it. It could also be that fitting is cracked or there is a leak in the radiator close to that fitting.

I would clean the area off and do a pressure test and look for the leak. The advantage of a pressure test is you can touch parts looking for a leak and not get burned by hot parts.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Car show near the Harbor Freight tomorrow so I'll go get the kit and next week Ill post the check right here for future gawkers, maybe it'll be an easy fix (maybe not). One good thing is that about two weeks ago I happened on an 04 being parted out and there sat the entire radiator condenser and fans - ''hey how much for this?'', 50 bucks he says - sold. It was a flood recovery so at least it a fair assumption it'll be good to go. Hopefully its not the radiator leaking - stay tuned My daughters Mustang has a slow leak so I can use the kit to deal with her car as well

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bought the ghostbuster kit and blue adapter #2 fits our Beetles. I took to the Bentley to see what pressure to set it at and that turns out to be 18 lbs max. Immediately steam came from my upper radiator hose area and from a stream pissing onto the trans-axle. I believe it to be from the pipe spider on the head. Me thinks I need o-rings.
I didn't know there were o-rings on the radiator inlet and outlet but a check of the Bentley shows otherwise, guess there wll be a run to VW this weekend. I couldn't afford to continue testing as G12 was all over the driveway and I only have a quart to top it off till I get another 14 dollar jug of ''lifetime'' antifreeze tomorrow. These parts should come with the timing belt kit so you can do this in one shot :(

Attachments

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Do you mean; the coolant flange, off of the head? That is a very common failure point; you will be replacing that part, every 3 to 5 years (the o-rings get compressed and the plastic warps, cracks, deteriorates; from the heat). Next time; try a drain pan, that way you can save and reuse your expensive G12 coolant. Glad you got the coolant pressure test kit; you will be using it often! :cool:

Most of the better; timing belt kits (like blauparts); come with the thermostat coolant flange but not the one off the head, I agree... they should be included.

This company; has started, to make a metal version of the coolant flange, theoretically, it will last longer and not leak as much (uses a paper gasket; instead of a o-ring: whether this would last, idk). Maybe something to consider; trying out, no one here, has tried it or reported how well it works. Worth a shot; seeing how often the plastic stock versions, fail:

https://www.google.com/search?q=VW+...olant+Flange+06A-121-132+with+the+2.0L+Engine

http://www.amazon.com/ALUMINUM-Coolant-Flange-06A-121-132-Engine/dp/B00K338PE2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-JETTA-GO...s=Make:Volkswagen&vxp=mtr&hash=item5664a27d8b

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My Silver bug is not in the pic here but it is in process of a nose job, I have a leak on that so he is next, I may get double the rings and do both bugs just for ****s. This was money well spent.
There is coolant all over the radiator and out the front grill but I'll change that o ring before I test it again.
The Bentley said 18 psi and I thought that was kinda low but nah, that was almost red line on the gauge of the hand pump. It was hard pumping it up that last bit too, prob got to 17 when I stopped - or it was the cloud of steam :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
I would replace the whole coolant flange assembly; if you are going stock plastic, the plastic warps and the o-ring get compressed. Maybe try out the aftermarket metal version?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So for those reading, The tester says that if you can't build pressure, that's indicative of a head gasket or a large hole and it recommends pulling plugs to see if you have coolant in the cylinders.

When I get the o rings I will post the photos of my adventure, looks like its tight in there so stay tuned

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took a time out from the black bug to test for the leak on Nevwl (my silver pal who is undergoing a nose job) Since putting the radiator and ac back together it has had a coolant leak . Here are the results of that. I wanted to get him tested in case I needed double parts when I go to VW tomorrow.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts