VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I have a GIAC chip and it would appear I need a daughter board installed in my spare ECU to make this work. My question is does anyone know of an able body to install a daughter board in my spare ECU? Thanks for any assistance!

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Have you contacted GIAC themselves?

GIAC|Software upgrade leader for Audi, BMW, Porsche and VW cars

This guy; does onboard ecu work as well:

Reflect Tuning :: Home

It would seem in the early days; that everyone was doing the daughterboard style upgrading but now, just flashing is how it is done? You might see; if you need to do the daughtercard or if now a days; just flashing is required for you particular ecu. Other tuners such as APR and Unitronic are also options to check out.

https://www.unitronic-chipped.com/

https://www.goapr.com/

·
Gustav
349 Posts
What year and model Beetle are you installing this in? This is the most important information when asking for help.
I have chipped my 2000 T4 Transporter VR6 to stage 1 with a chip from reflect tuning.
My chip was socketed to the board not soldered so it can be removed from the socket and easily replaced with a new one .
What I know from my experience and research is if your ECM is not socketed for the chip it will not work.
This is why some ECM's have to be shipped to a tuner to be tuned on their equipment.

Here is a very good video on how it should work I know it's a VR6 ECM but the process is the same.
How To Chip a MK3 VR6 ~ DIY Video | Humble Mechanic

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have a 00' and the chip in the motherboard is soldered in. Thinking I will take it to a computer shop and see if the can RE&RE the chip set. Thanks for the info and I will update with my results.

·
His name is Poseidon
100 Posts
I would see if they can remove the current chip and put a socket on the board, that way you can convert back to the original if you have problems and need to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Have you contacted GIAC? SInce, it is their chip; why not see what they recommend first? You are not obligated to use them or whatever they offer you but you might as well see what your options are. If you end up needing support with the chip/software; I would have a feeling, they would be more willing to help if they did the work and if they didn't, may refuse tech support. Food for thought; see what they have to say, before attempting some hack solution, they you may regret later on. The extra cost; of doing it correctly to begin with, could really pay off when/if you need their tech support.

GIAC
17 Musick
Irvine, CA 92618
(949)-470-1080

email: [email protected]

This info; from their website, might be helpful:

http://www.giacusa.com/sales/sales_info.php

upgrades

All GIAC Flashloader (flash-installed) software products may be upgraded to their most current version through an authorized GIAC dealer, as long as the upgrade is for the same car/VIN. GIAC dealers reserve the right to charge a labor fee, and if necessary a shipping fee, for such upgrades. Contact your GIAC dealer for additional upgrade information. Flashloader software products purchased "second-hand" are not eligible for upgrade under this policy.

The custom nature of the Flashloader product ties it directly to the original vehicle for which it was purchased and prevents resale of the software for use in another vehicle. All socket to flash upgrades must be done via mail order at GIAC. To be eligible for an upgrade to flash, the ECU must be sent to GIAC directly with the original socket still installed in the ECU. GIAC will perform this upgrade at the cost of $75-$125 ( ECU dependent ) labor plus return shipping.

Upgrade service may be refused if the original sale can not be tracked or proven via receipt of purchase from an authorized GIAC dealer. GIAC reserves the right to modify this upgrade policy at any time. GIAC reserves the right to refuse upgrade service to anyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts