NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, first off I'm pretty new to this forum. I own a yellow 2000 1.8T that I purchased back in 2017 for 500 bucks. Of course, I've put a lot more money into it since then for repairs/upgrades, but recently things have just been falling apart so quickly (a/c went out, headliner is peeling, got some engine issues, cracked front bumper) so I bought a truck and parked the beetle in the garage. It sat there for 6 months before I blew the head gasket on my truck... so now I'm back to driving the beetle. I forgot how fun it was to drive this thing! But that brings me to why I am posting here.

I would like to breathe some new life into this car. I've heard that parts from newer beetles are compatible with older versions. I would really like to make this car look a little more "manly." I need a new front bumper, but I'm not sure which ones are compatible. I really like the side view mirrors with the turn signal lights, but I don't know if those are compatible. The center console annoys me to no end with its terrible cup holder placement, and I have a crack in the dash (I would like to replace it, but I don't know where I can find parts).

I'm open to any suggestions on upgrades/modifications that you've seen or done yourself.

TIA!

Here are some pictures: (I forgot to point out that the fog lights are totally busted, too. If anyone knows how to fix those, or can direct me to a thread about repairing fog lights, that would be great!)

Duck Hunter
Cracked Bumper
Replacing the Washer Fluid Tank

·
Registered
869 Posts
Make a visit to your local junkyard, pic-a-part, pickin-pull or whatever they call it. Model years 98-06 are compatible and I think it goes all the way to model year 10. Some slight differences between the older and newer models but with most components it’s a matter of pulling off the old and replacing or even upgrading to the newer part.

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Front bumpers - anything '98-'05 will work. In '06 they did a facelift and you'd have to swap over fenders as well for the bumper to work. You may want to look into a Turbo S style bumper. Its a nice upgrade!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Front bumpers - anything '98-'05 will work. In '06 they did a facelift and you'd have to swap over fenders as well for the bumper to work. You may want to look into a Turbo S style bumper. Its a nice upgrade!
I really like the look of the 2006 fenders and bumper. I found some locally for $130 USD but they are off a 2007. Would they still be compatible?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,155 Posts
Should be, but you would have to swap over the whole fenders from what I understand. Headlights are also different as a result, I believe.

Reactions: Duskylite

·
Registered
869 Posts
If you got a good deal on an 07 bumper and fenders, swap them out. Get the headlights while your'e at it.

Rock auto has new fog lights, but not the valance they are mounted in. You should be able to score the fog light set up at the junkyard or off craigslist of people parting beetles out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you got a good deal on an 07 bumper and fenders, swap them out. Get the headlights while your'e at it.

Rock auto has new fog lights, but not the valance they are mounted in. You should be able to score the fog light set up at the junkyard or off craigslist of people parting beetles out.
Will the 2007 Headlights fit in the slots for the old ones?

·
Registered
29 Posts
All the ‘door cards’ abs plastic other than my dash was trashed I plastic welded/epoxied/spray painted/and or covered with a PVA fabric on bolsters of doors (arm rests) and center console...which I also modified to hold actual drinks towards the back seat! (Apologies for the doubles, don’t wanna risk a do-over post if delete :/)
99BAD1DB-83B3-448A-B2D3-7C0F2F5A1848.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Removed headliner, added the console and reinforced it and other weak spots around edges. Used fleece because stretchy but not too much Headliner glue a must! Even with that there were wrinkles around ‘corners’ and where I added the black PVA fabric around so-called console HTH can’t find my center console modification but will post when do

85EAB367-2C14-4DAE-878D-269EDBA550A7.jpeg

·
Registered
29 Posts
Have you fixed the bumper yet? Or replaced it? Wondering because looks like might be a fixable repair?? Start with zip tie’stiches’ then deemed or lightly grind a channel between seam and plastic weld joint. Plastic welding is amazingly faster than epoxy. ‘Dries’ instantly when cools and can sand right away. You tube has how to’s too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I'm getting a lot of good ideas... Now how to pay for it ??

I picked up the two front fenders and front bumper from a salvage yard today. Cost me $350 total. $200 for the fenders and $150 for the bumper. I guess I need diffent headlights now? Can I P&P the newer headlights in the old sockets? Or do I need to replace those, too? Any suggestions for good headlight assemblies?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Don’t know about headlights, but I used newer seats than my first year NB and the clips were very similar, but did not match up. Took the wiring harness with me fro JY to patch together if I ever find a worthy helper ?. My junk yard has deals often. I got all new leather buckets and bench (front and back) for $15 each!!=$65 total!! Went from dirty cloth to black nice leather.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Will the 2007 Headlights fit in the slots for the old ones?
How did the fender bumper swap go? Do you now need to replace the rear fenders?
I was at junkyard and they had a sale on headlights for $25. I noticed the holes/size of lights, tho same shape got large and wouldn’t be an easy swap 1998-2003-ish. I wanted the new model lights
, less brittle and better look, but I already have enough on my plate, DIDNT need to start new mods.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts