VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone! I got my bug a couple of months ago and I figured this is way overdue. ? it's time to chronicle the life of my baby!

I picked up my first car on January 16, 2015. I chose this car because it was relatively cheap to buy, cheap to insure, stood out in a crowd and seemed nice and small to drive in a crowded city. I just didn't realize how much I would really love this car. Nor did I realize how neglected it was.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

When I bought her she only had all-season tires. I was hoping I wouldn't need to buy winter tires right off the bat... But winters are crazy here in Canada (I got stuck).

Snow Motor vehicle Car Vehicle Red

As I was getting her snow tires installed the shop noticed that there were some leaks under the car but with the snow, sludge and dirt they couldn't pinpoint where it was coming from.

One underbody wash and a couple days later, they inspected it for me:
1) radiator corroded and slowly leaking out one side
2) power steering leaked (reservoir bone dry!)
3) valve cover gaskets leaking on spark plugs
4) cracked CV boot

I got the valve cover gasket, spark plugs, timing belt and water pump done in my first (and really expensive) visit to the mechanic. Poured some coolant stop leak in the reservoir - the worst that can happen is it doesn't work (need a new rad anyways), as well as some stop leak for my power steering (leaky line). Four months later and my levels are perfect!

My airbag light came on and I decided to invest in a handheld scanner. Codes for passenger buckle (would take a while to come back after clearing) and side igniter (instant).

Electronic device Technology Auto part

Went under the seat - cables were disconnected and bound by a zip tie? Figured that holds it tighter and moving the seat pulls on it too much. Cut that off, reconnect the wires and perfecto!

Noticed the very occasional rough shift into third... Decided to drain and fill transmission fluid. It looked like motor oil and my filter was clogged! Done a second time after a couple hundred km.

Drink Distilled beverage Liqueur

Picked up some cheap used Enkei 225/40/ZR18 wheels and tires. A little scuffs but an amazing deal (and I won't cry when I rub against a curb.. New driver and I hate parallel parking).

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

Thought the car was missing a bit of zip and decided to get a new air filter. Old one was extremely dirty, and I found a present in my engine compartment...

Auto part Fuel line Pipe Engine Automotive fuel system

Garbage and mouse turds. Ew.

Red Leaf Plant Soil Flower

Toronto roads suck. She got noisy and bumpy and swervy on the road... Decided to get rear shocks&springs to start with. Left rear was new (?) but right rear was original and had a retraction rate of about 2 mins... No wonder it ducked to the right. Front is pending on funds.

Bought some turtle wax headlight cleaner. After some wet sanding, polishing and sealer it looked great. My car is the cleanest and shiniest car on my street.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Volkswagen new beetle

Hit this milestone the other day!!

Speedometer Odometer Auto part Gauge Measuring instrument

My dad has agreed to have a "warm buggy day" with me this summer. My to do list:
1) new front badge install
2) drivers door microswitch
3) hazard signal relay (goes bonkers!)
4) EVAP leak detection pump malfunction - no signal... Going to check the wire.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also noticed a couple days ago that my left blinker is going nuts. It will randomly flash quickly as if a bulb is burnt.. But none of them are. After browsing the org, I'm going to check the contacts when it's nice outside. It's been really rainy the past couple of days.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Welcome, to the org! It sounds like; you have been busy and you are willing to "jump right in", to fix up your New Beetle! :) Thanks for joining! If you need any help with things; start a new thread and we will go from there! We are all there to help! :D

Trouble code info:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01218

·
Super Moderator
14,834 Posts
Thank you for adopting this New Beetle, and taking good care of her. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!

Car is in the mechanics shop today. I got a new code P0411 Secondary Air Injection System: Incorrect Flow. It turned out to be a couple of broken air pipes. They also noted that my dipstick and funnel were broken.

Pipe Hose Exhaust manifold Auto part Fuel line
Some bits and pieces.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Those are CRAZY expensive; from the VW dealer (only source at this time) and they just will end up breaking again ($50/$70)! I fixed mine recently; by going to the hardware store and found some "pump discharge hose", it was the same diameter and just swapped the end connectors. This is working on fine on my bug and only cost me $7 (vs. $120); to redo one hose, you could epoxy the ends on or I just put some electrical tape on the ends, sealed and it is working well for months now! :) At this cheap of a price; I would recommend, you give it a shot! What do you have to lose? My hardware store; had it in a bulk hose; sold by the foot. It looked almost identical to the stock hose and it is more pliable, hopefully less prone to get brittle.

"pump discharge hose" (black)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pump discharge hose

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Those are CRAZY expensive; from the VW dealer (only source at this time) and they just will end up breaking again ($50/$70)! I fixed mine recently; by going to the hardware store and found some "pump discharge hose", it was the same diameter and just swapped the end connectors. This is working on fine on my bug and only cost me $7 (vs. $120); to redo one hose, you could epoxy the ends on or I just put some electrical tape on the ends, sealed and working well for months now! :) At this cheap of a price; I would recommend, you give it a shot! What do you have to lose? My hardware store; had it in a bulk hose; sold by the foot. It looked almost identical to the stock hose and it is more pliable, hopefully less prone to get brittle.

"pump discharge hose" (black)
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=pump discharge hose
Good call on that pump discharge hose, Billy! Never would've thought of that.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
Yeah, well as they say... "Necessity is the mother of invention". Because of the New Mexico desert; everything, rubber or plastic on my car is falling apart. For whatever reason; the plastics and rubber on German cars, just cannot handle high heat climates. I got so sick of replacing parts; that end up failing again, I try to find alternative repair possibilities. My goal is to save money and improve upon, a failed part. It doesn't always work out; but I was amazed to find this discharge hose works perfect, looks very similar and if you looked at it, you wouldn't notice the difference between the stock sai hoses. :) I love it; when I feel I have "beat the system" as it were, on overly expensive stock failure prone parts! :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow Billy that's a great idea! I just wish I was able to find the broken hoses myself and post them here before going to the mechanics! Before they order the parts and do the work! That's a great idea if they ever break again. I sure don't like the price tags of the hoses, but I am ever thankful it wasn't a broken SAI pump. I saw the price on the monitor as he was scrolling through the parts and it scared me!

I also forgot to mention that some of the rubber mounts for the pump were broken so those are getting replaced too. They figured the broken mounts may have contributed to the hoses breaking.

·
Registered
15,842 Posts
The pump mounts; are finally being made by the aftermarket. You can save some money, that way as well. Dorman, sells a kit; that comes with all three mounts you need, at a affordable price:

Dorman part # 911-926
Air Pump Mount 3 PCS
Application Summary: Volkswagen 2006-98

Application Notes:
L4 1.8L (1781cc)
L4 121 2.0L (1984cc)
CHECK YOUR FIT
- See more at: http://www.dormanproducts.com/mobil...ary Air Injection Pump Mount&origin=YMM#bmb=1

Amazon; has the best price @ $15 with free shipping:

https://www.google.com/search?q=dor...hrome-mobile&espv=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en-US#imgrc=_

When it comes to the hoses; the stock ones are the way to go (perfect fitment; no diy goofing around involved), they probably will last longer for you. It is just here the extreme heat here in the desert, makes them very brittle and they don't last long, break easily. I just wish Volkswagen; made them out of a more durable plastics.

·
Everett Street in May
3,212 Posts
Wow, amazing work so far, congrats for jumping in and getting this bug the TLC it needed.

Glad your enjoying the car, they do get under your skin for some reason :wink:

Keep up to have good work and posting pics!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks!

Update from last night/this morning: car is so much quieter on a cold start! New hoses and SAI mounts makes a huge difference. So happy. :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,869 Posts
Yeah, well as they say... "Necessity is the mother of invention". Because of the New Mexico desert; everything, rubber or plastic on my car is falling apart. For whatever reason; the plastics and rubber on German cars, just cannot handle high heat climates. I got so sick of replacing parts; that end up failing again, I try to find alternative repair possibilities. My goal is to save money and improve upon, a failed part. It doesn't always work out; but I was amazed to find this discharge hose works perfect, looks very similar and if you looked at it, you wouldn't notice the difference between the stock sai hoses. :) I love it; when I feel I have "beat the system" as it were, on overly expensive stock failure prone parts! :)

Guess we need to start an "plastic parts replacement/alternative" thread. We can list the alternative fixes and sources that get rid of the brittle plastic bits.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Also noticed a couple days ago that my left blinker is going nuts. It will randomly flash quickly as if a bulb is burnt.. But none of them are. After browsing the org, I'm going to check the contacts when it's nice outside. It's been really rainy the past couple of days.

Heya!

We've had the same situation going on from time to time with front left blinker. The shop did wires and contacts group cleaning and fixing them together and the problem is gone.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Heya!

We've had the same situation going on from time to time with front left blinker. The shop did wires and contacts group cleaning and fixing them together and the problem is gone.

That's great to hear!! I haven't gotten around to cleaning the contacts yet. The issue happened for a couple days one week and hasn't happened again yet (*knock on wood!*). If it starts up again I'll fix em. :)

Update for today:
Gas mileage seems to be much better already since fixing p0411. Yay!

Airbag seatbelt code came back again. Stealership wants $250 for he buckle and all the parts sites I find are US based where shipping and import duties will be awful. Just gonna clear it for the time being. As long as I have no passenger doing up the seatbelt it stays off. I don't have passengers often so this can wait until I figure out when/where to get a buckle. :)

1 - 20 of 79 Posts