VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently purchased a 99 2.0 beetle. After a few hundred miles of driving began to misfire. Took it to a "works on everything" shop where they replaced the spark plugs and wires. Which I expected. Before leaving the parking area red temp warning light came on. This was new. Mechanic stated they tightened the coolant tank cap when they noticed it was loose during their work. Neither fans are kicking on and coolant level drops. Haven't noticed any coolant in exhaust. Rather than driving the vehicle and subjecting it to any overheating damage I left it at the same shop. They are looking into the problem but I am not sure how confident I am. Does it seem like it could be related, unrelated or could the shop have done something to my car?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Check fuses on top of battery. Many threads on here about this. Search for melted fuse box and fans not working.

·
Premium Member
3,453 Posts
Welcome to the great and wonderful ORG! Many fantastic cars, people and answers lurk in this great land. If you haven't done so already, take time to fill in your profile and post a few photos so we can ORGle them!!

·
Certified Arcade Tech
416 Posts
Recently purchased a 99 2.0 beetle. After a few hundred miles of driving began to misfire. Took it to a "works on everything" shop where they replaced the spark plugs and wires. Which I expected. Before leaving the parking area red temp warning light came on. This was new. Mechanic stated they tightened the coolant tank cap when they noticed it was loose during their work. Neither fans are kicking on and coolant level drops. Haven't noticed any coolant in exhaust. Rather than driving the vehicle and subjecting it to any overheating damage I left it at the same shop. They are looking into the problem but I am not sure how confident I am. Does it seem like it could be related, unrelated or could the shop have done something to my car?

Thanks for your help.
What color warning light and was it flashing or not?

It was posted here before. Blue on steady is a cold engine, Blue flashing means a bad sensor. Red flashing is low fluid, and red on steady is overheating.

I would really look at coolant level, VW coolant only! Not the cheapo Green Stuff (that does more harm then good). And the cooling fans as mentioned. If someone put green coolant in the engine? Search around, lots of info on how to flush it and get the correct fluid in. It won't harm anything short term in my opinion---but leave it in there to long? And it will start having an adverse effect.

S-

·
5/23/10 <3
11,417 Posts
What color warning light and was it flashing or not?

It was posted here before. Blue on steady is a cold engine, Blue flashing means a bad sensor. Red flashing is low fluid, and red on steady is overheating.

I would really look at coolant level, VW coolant only! Not the cheapo Green Stuff (that does more harm then good). And the cooling fans as mentioned. If someone put green coolant in the engine? Search around, lots of info on how to flush it and get the correct fluid in. It won't harm anything short term in my opinion---but leave it in there to long? And it will start having an adverse effect.

S-
This.

Also, you really should get the car to a shop that knows VWs. These cars certainly have their own quirks and tricks and its best to trust someone who knows all that rather than a general mechanic.

·
All this & I can cook too
482 Posts
Welcome to the 'org. Arguably the biggest challenge of being a new NB owner is learning all of the various electrical gremlins that can run afoul in your bug.

Check the 40 amp fuse in the plastic fusebox that sits on top of the battery. It will look more like a piece of flat metal than a fuse, and it sits near the middle of the row of fuses if memory serves me correctly. If that is blown, it can cause a number of fan related problems.

Best of luck,
Chef

1 - 6 of 6 Posts