NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this; however, after searching around this is probably the best place to get good recommendations :)
I've been working on my New Beetle and my hands are taking a real beating. I saw some mechanics gloves in the auto parts store to the tune of $25. Before I drop that kind of money on something other than my Beetle, I wanted to find out what you all use that you would recommend. Obviously I need the gloves to conform to my fingers well enough to be able to pick up small things like washers and hold onto small things like nuts, screws, etc.
Do any of you use these?
Skeleton Bones Mechanic Gloves M Gloves | eBay
Or are these just a marketing gimic and not close fitting enough for the small tasks I have at hand? :D Pun intended hee hee :p

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
We keep stocked up on nitrile gloves and use those a lot (just regular rubber glove type gloves). We get them at Harbor Freight, but they sell them a lot of places I'm sure.

Otherwise, we use Mechanix gloves.

Honestly, I tend to not use gloves at all. I end up taking gloves off pretty often so I can get a better grip on things, and then my hands get dirty and then why keep the gloves on? But we also have a sink in our garage, so we can wash up easily. The nitriles are nice when working with fluids though, especially things like oil. I usually wear them when I do oil changes and it helps.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Being female, I use the nitrile gloves (found mine at the auto parts store). They protect the digits while giving me a good feel for what it is that I'm tinkering with on my bug.

IMO, gloves are completely worth the investment. Nothing like having to go to work and explain busted fingers and hands from the weekend :wave:

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
IMO, gloves are completely worth the investment. Nothing like having to go to work and explain busted fingers and hands from the weekend :wave:
I love getting my hands dirty in the engine bay. My one boss is a car nut too so having dirt under the nails going into work is always a topic of conversation haha!

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Nitrile all the way. Sometimes 2 or 3 pairs of it's cold out! They're cheap. You can get the grease monkey brand at Walmart, for less than 5 dollars I think. There's around 25 pairs in each box, so you can't beat that deal. They keep my hands clean, and smooth as a baby's behind.:)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App

Attachments

·
I'm not a dude.
1,230 Posts
I also use Nitrile gloves sometimes, but for times when I'm doing something like taking a wheel off or something, I have a pair of Mechanix gloves. These: Shop MECHANIX WEAR Large Men's High Performance Gloves at Lowes.com
The men's size medium fits my tiny female hands very well... I couldn't believe they were called a men's medium for how small they were. Then I realized what MAN would want to buy men's small gloves? hahahaha :D (very strategic, Mechanix!) Anyway.. I like them because they're not bulky and huge but still offer some protection.

Most days, I don't mind rocking no gloves though. :p girls with dirty hands ftw!

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Nitrile all the way. Sometimes 2 or 3 pairs of it's cold out! They're cheap. You can get the grease monkey brand at Walmart, for less than 5 dollars I think. There's around 25 pairs in each box, so you can't beat that deal. They keep my hands clean, and smooth as a baby's behind.:)

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using AutoGuide.Com Free App
That's what I use. We have a T-shirt Screen Printing hobby and use them there to keep the hands clean and ink free.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Premium Member
665 Posts
The nitrile ones are better than the standard surgical type because they are a bit thicker and don't tear as easy. If mine tear I usually don't want to stop what I am doing to change them so I like the nitrile better.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
14,052 Posts
Nitrile are good; tend to hold up to the fluids that destroy the others; e.g. brake cleaner etc. I would use the Nitrile at the bare minimum; you tend to bust knuckles less and while you may still smash yourself, you usually won't get chunks of skin taken out of your hands! :) If you can stop from destroying your hands; by all means do it! :)

For gloves: Mechanix seem to last the longest and are better quality then the others: if you don't want to spend much, the gloves from harbor freight (on sale) are pretty cheap but don't last as long. Google for 20% coupon for harbor freight.

·
Luv my bug!
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got these at oreillys auto parts they are less than 20 I think around 10 to 15 dollars.
I saw these in a DIY video on how to replace the cabin air filter and have been drooling ever since. Thanks to your pic, I can see the name for them! I look forward to a pair of these for working on larger piece projects since it's colder than a witches tit in my region right now. I'll get a box of the Nitriles as well. Thanks everyone, you rock! :guitar: I can see now that I should consider changing Mrs Beetle's name to Tinker's Dream and that I am going to need gloves...lots and lots of gloves...

·
Registered
34 Posts
The blue and black ones at Harbor Freight are about $5 a pair. I've gone through a bunch of them, mostly wearing out one finger or another. They don't last as long as the mechanix ones, but they work well, and I found that by the time the fingers wear out, they are getting pretty gross and greasy anyway, so I don't mind tossing them and doing another new pair.

I also use the nitrile gloves for body work, heavy oil work, etc, sure makes getting your hands clean easier (I'll use them under mechanics gloves as well.)

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Greetings,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this; however, after searching around this is probably the best place to get good recommendations :)
I've been working on my New Beetle and my hands are taking a real beating. I saw some mechanics gloves in the auto parts store to the tune of $25. Before I drop that kind of money on something other than my Beetle, I wanted to find out what you all use that you would recommend. Obviously I need the gloves to conform to my fingers well enough to be able to pick up small things like washers and hold onto small things like nuts, screws, etc.
Do any of you use these?
Skeleton Bones Mechanic Gloves M Gloves | eBay
Or are these just a marketing gimic and not close fitting enough for the small tasks I have at hand? :D Pun intended hee hee :p
Just use someone elses hands that way you don't have to mess up your lovely hands and don't have to worry about gloves :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts