VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The NB was fine this weekend & today. She fired and drove without issue getting us home safe and sound tonight. I went out just now to go to the store. I start it and it dies after ignition. The glow plug dash light is flashing now.

I replaced the battery with an OEM replacement last Friday and it was fine all weekend and today.

Any ideas what's causing this?

Thanks in advance

-Bob

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've read that it may have something to do with the brake switch. I checked last night and my brake lights are working.
How can I pull a code if it won't stay running?

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Follow-Up

I borrowed a scanner from a friend and connected it with the key on. It came back "No Codes Present". So I disconnected and reconnected and got the same reading. Seemed weird but it still wouldn't stay running & the glow plug dash light still was flashing away. The only thing that had changed shortly before I had the problem was I changed the battery. I popped the bonnet, to check the connections and all was well.

So I decided to do what I do to my work computer when it acts up & "reboot it".

I disconnected the positive battery cable, waited 30 seconds and reconnected it. Jumped in the car and it fired right up and no more flashing glow plug dash light. Drove it around the block and it was fine. Shut it off in the garage & fired it back up - no problems.

Hopefully it was something as simple as that - but who knows?

Thank for all the help and, at least I have a scanner on order ;)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Thanks for the update, keep your battery tools in the car just in case. I have heard/seen a few situations in the past that this actually works. I had a friend that had a newer Mazda SUV that would not start, seemed the anti-theft system was keeping the engine from starting. We had to not only disconnect the battery, but actually had to put the 2 battery terminals together for 30 seconds to drain all the modules within the car. This would allow the car to start just one time for each battery disconnection. Turned out the battery was actually bad, even though the engine sounded like it was cranking fine.

You will need the OBDII scan tool anyway to verify engine temperature and other things, so it will be on hand next time.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Follow-Up Part II

I stopped by my buddy's shop. He has the VCDS from Ross-Tech. We plugged it in and it showed 2 faults:
19463 - Camshaft Position Senor (G40)
17978 - Engine start blocked by immobilizer

He said that sometimes these codes are due to a bad brake switch, as some of my research has shown. They're going to give me a call and I can bring it in then to root out the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts