NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Herminoe in the shop tonight and they say she needs a new set of glow plugs. I replaced them around 55,000 miles and now have about 86,000 miles. Does only 30,000 miles on a set of glow plugs sound right? The stealer is quoting around $430 to replace, not sure if that includes the harness too. Just seems like a year con't go buy with at least $600 into this bug. Is there any way to make them last longer?

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
Don't pay the dealer to replace them.. please don't...

It's so easy. You need a 10 mm deep socket, and 4 glowplugs
from TDIPARTS.COM.

They come out as easy as spark plugs. Well, except for
the one at the far right as you are looking at the engine.
You need to move the vacuum pot that sits in front of it.

Still, an easy job.

·
Block
247 Posts
Definately do not go to the stealership on this one! I am a mechanical moron and with the help of the org-ers and the folks at TDIclub I was able to replace mine in about 10 minutes, no sweat. Much easier than sparkplugs even, no gapping to worry about. I did find that having a flex-shaft helped immensly while working on mine. As I am finding, owning a TDI is much more rewarding when one learns how to fix many of the small maintainance items oneself. If the plugs did go out after 30,000 I would be a bit suspicious. They should last longer than that...

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
my guess is that maybe only one went bad... and the dealer wants you to replace all 4 for NO reason. a simple voltmeter test will tell you which one is bad.. you can safely replace only that one for $20 and shipping from tdiparts.com

Good luck.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I will try to and see how it goes. My only question is which plugs do I need? With or without glowplug heater? And which size, the 10 mm or 11 mm? Besides, the stupid ealer doesn't even have the plugs in stock!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Living in FL I don't worry about them to much. Stealer wanted like $90 to do on once, 6 months later the idiot lite came back on. Been driving for a year without replacing the other one. I may do it this winter because we are going to drive the TDI North.

·
04 NBC Turbo Tiptronic
80 Posts
I'm not a diesel owner curerently but we are seriously considering getting one around next year(hopefully sooner) so I will be posting general questions that may be kind of wierd/obvious so be patient. What exactly is the heater that manuals have but autos don't?:confused:

·
Send Money
1,135 Posts
mgwerks said:
Not to mention that that $430 figure is four times the parts cost of 4 new GPs AND a harness....
Speaking of the harness...

How is that replaced? I have been riding around for 9 months now with a CEL due to "Glow-plug system general failure" that I traced (or rather eliminated) down to the wiring harness. There are no starting issues (yet) but I am getting sick of looking at the CEL 39 seconds after I start the car up every time.

·
strange things are afoot
1,535 Posts
to replace the harness... use a pair of side cutters nad some butt connectors (crimp on) with the new harness ends on www.tdiparts.com then you just heat shrink the connections and you are golden. some de-ox-it would be a good investment at the same time as well. ($15 at radio shack)

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
The manuals have a coolant heater. Basically 3 11mm glowplugs that go in a housing that the coolant flows through. There is almost no report of these failing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts