NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The OEM 16's are banged up beyond repair, so I was thinking of switching to a 17" when new tires are due. '07 Convertible.

How much needs to be done, and how easy/expensive is it to change out parts to keep the speedo and tach (and anything else) running correctly with an additional inch of diameter?

Thanks

·
Registered
90 Posts
Going from 16" to 17", speedo/tach changes?

I swapped my 16's for 18's. You can check out this website to see if the different tire size will make a difference.

http://tire-size-conversion.com/tire-size-comparison/

Even though I went up 2 inches, the tire sizes were so comparable that I didn't need to change anything. (205/55/16 to 225/40/18)

The website includes a speed comparison. For example, my swap changed 20 mph = 20.2 mph after changing the size... 90 mph = 90.7 mph.. That's so insignificant that you can leave it as is.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
66 Posts
The tach is dependent on engine speed.... As long as you keep the same size tires, the run size won't matter. 225/55/16 is the same size ad 225/55/18....it's just a lower profile tire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You won't have to change tach / speedo as long as you get the same diameter tire as the OEM. If your OEM 16" tire was 205/55/16, the equivalent diameter 17" tire is 225/45/17, and equivalent diameter 18" is 255/35/18. This assumes that all other things on the new wheel are compatible with the beetle, such as offset, width, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts