NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I am moving forward in trying to purchase my 1st NB! I am heading to the used car dealer this week and want to know, on the test drive, how will I know if something is wrong. In my previous post, someone said to do a long test drive because that's when the Transmission would start to act up. So how will I know?

For those that didn't read my other post, the car I'm interested is an '01 GLX Turbo Automatic. Dealer says car title is clean, runs great etc etc. This is the first car I'm ever purchasing from a used car dealer. ( My first car was purchased from a family friend)

Thank you as always!

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Pay attention to the shifting...if its harsh or takes awhile to get to the next gear, that signals a problem for sure. Make sure you get up to highway speeds so you can make sure you get into all gears too. The 3-4 shift is usually one that can be harsh or take time to do.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I had a 2001 GLX turbo beetle and it was a nightmare, to maintain every two months or so it would be in the shop. It was lemon! Still loved the car though. lol But hopefully if you purchase this car you won't have any major issues. Good luck and congrats on buying a new beetle.:D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Have to agree with smiley. Haven't had an auto in a while but have driven a friends and the hard shift from 3-4 was her service soon sign.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So Sad!

Showed up today and we were told the car had been sold just hours prior to our arrival. And so the hunt continues...Thank you so much for the pointers of what to look and listen for during the test drive. I will most certainly be doing a test drive soon :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts