NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
We've only got 4 Minutes!
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm close to buying a 2005 GLS Beetle with 82K miles automatic tiptronic for $7,900. With this mileage what should I except to replace or prepare for in the future? Also, how many miles should I change the motor oil? Looking for the 411 on this car.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ask about the timing belt, get a receipt showing it having been done. If not, you'll pretty much need to do this right away and that will be several hundred dollars.

·
Cheeeto's Daddy
1,151 Posts
Unless you have absolute proof of when the timing belt and water pump were changed I would drop my offer by a grand and have those done immediately. You want to see a receipt for the work with the mileage on it. There is a reason so many New Beetles are for sale with about 75-80,000 Miles on them. The original owners don't want to pay a dealer a thousand dollars for that required service. A good VW mechanic can get it done for you for around $600.00 or so. If that belt breaks or the water pump goes you are looking at about three thousand dollars in repairs.

I change my oil at 3,000 miles. Others go longer. I was just taught that way. ( I have a pretty robust engineering background as well) Have a local VW mechanic take a look at it B4 you write the check.

Good luck an congratulations on your new toy.

Chuckie

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow I did not factor that in.. Thank you. So if I brought a VW mechanic, would he be able to know right then and there if its been replaced if the dealership doesn't know? Is there anything else to know?!

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Sorry to say this, but any of these New Beetles with between 60-100k miles are all time bombs.

You MUST get the timing belt & tensioners, water pump and thermostat replaced. Failure to do this will leave you exposed for a great financial pain/loss.

Also the automatic transmission ALL eat the valve bodies by this mileage. The valve bodies can be reworked, but plan on at least $1100 for a trans fluid change and valve body overhaul.

VW extended the trans warranty on most of the automatics for 7 years/100k miles due to all the problems they had. I do not think the newer trans are immune to the issue either. Changing the fluid and updating the trans software does not help much either. The valve bodies basically self destruct.

So between the timing belt/water pump job and trans work, expect about $2k in the short term.

Drive the car and make sure the trans fluid is really warmed up, the warmer the fluid the more problems you will feel with up and downshifting. Most of the time harsh 4-3 down shifting is a bigger problem.

These cars can be money pits, but when the run right they are a good all around car.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I love my '05 2.0 auto, i've had it since 7800 miles, it now has 97,000 miles. That said, you are looking at timing belt/water pump and spark plugs for sure. I would call a vw dealer with the vin # to see if the extended warranty was performed on the transmission, mine was done last february. Before it was done, the car took longer to shift at various gears, it would usually shift @ 2500 rpm, but would go to 3000 from 3rd to 4th, sometime it would shift down very hard from 4th to 3rd with a thud feeling. My dealer diagnosed it just with the higher rpm shifting, it occasionally would not shift and you would have to let off the gas so that it would. Also check cv boots, replaced one side last year, now the other side needs it.

Best of luck!

·
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if I change the value under the extended transmission warranty from the vw dealership, am I required to pay for the other transmission repairs along with it? And that can be up to $1K?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,171 Posts
Its whatever comes first, years or mileage. You can try to get in touch with VW and see if they'll help you, but I wouldn't expect it.

I had my cat fail on my '99 at 90k, and there was an extended warranty on it for 10 years/120k, so I was well under the mileage. But this was in early 2011. I had the exact failure but didn't matter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts