VW Beetle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a 2003 Cyber Green Color Concept and I need to get new tires. I currently have 225 45R 17s on the Take 5 rims with the inserts. I live in New England and with the weather up here the roads are very bumpy and in the winter they get worse. The low profile tires look great, but they are so hard and every little bump feels like I'm trying to drive over a curb. Just looking for suggestions. I thought of just going up a size and maybe a little narrower, but can't find the specs on the rims. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought about just finding some tires and wheels for winter, but these wheels look so good and the uniqueness of them makes me have to buy tires that will look good and improve my ride. I was thinking just going to a (225 or 215) 50R 17 just to get a little more bounce. Would the 215 be to narrow for those rims?

·
2,646 Posts
You can run 15s no problem. My wife's 01 Sport runs the Take 5s in summer, and 15s in winter. I'll get the exact size tomorrow for you.
15" size is 195/65/15. Any factory alloy/steelie from any Mk.4 Jetta/Golf/etc. will work and fit over the brakes--including any 1.8T car including the Turbo S (which is a Q I've seen frequently on the .Org) You can find used factory alloys at vwvortex.com all day long. Check the wheel guide here: OEM Volkswagen Wheel Database

·
Premium Member
4,315 Posts
205/50 17
225/45 17
245/40 17

All three of these have exactly the same amount of sidewall exposed and the same overall diameter. Ride will remain basically the same so will your speedometer.

Now if you don't mind having your speedometer read 2 mph slower than your actual speed you can jump up to a bigger sidewall and run.

215/50 17
235/45 17

If you don't mind a reading 6mph+ slower then you can even go further then that but seriously risk rubbing on your suspension and parts of the body.

215/55 17
225/50 17
235/50 17

All of these will fit on your stock 17x7 wheels.

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.