NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lurker
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX tires at Discount Tire for $97 each. They price matched Pep Boys and beat their price by $2. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they perform better than the OEM GoodYear RSAs.

:cool:

·
Quintuple Dubness
65 Posts
BlueMartian said:
I just purchased a set of Kumho ECSTA ASX tires at Discount Tire for $97 each. They price matched Pep Boys and beat their price by $2. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they perform better than the OEM GoodYear RSAs.

They are

·
Registered
27 Posts
that's a good deal! i just ordered my ASX's from tirerack but i would have bought them at discount tire for that much...how much was it altogether? i could only get them down to $110/tire...

the ASX's will be better than the RSA's for sure!!!

·
Me Gusta!
718 Posts
I'm planning on upgrading my Michelins to new tires as well. On Tire Rack, according to customer surveys, these Michelins I have are the worst. I have my mind set on Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all season tire which received awesome reviews. It's about $125, so it's not much more than the ASX. Do you guys have any experience with those tires compared to the ASX?

·
Registered
27 Posts
r0nd3L said:
I'm planning on upgrading my Michelins to new tires as well. On Tire Rack, according to customer surveys, these Michelins I have are the worst. I have my mind set on Pirelli PZero Nero M+S all season tire which received awesome reviews. It's about $125, so it's not much more than the ASX. Do you guys have any experience with those tires compared to the ASX?
no experience with the nero's but that's what i wanted too. i bought the ASX's because i've read & been told that the nero's aren't that good in the snow (which is what i need) & that they don't seem to last very long. so the cheaper, ASX's looked the best for me.

i DON'T believe all the ratings on tirerack. the best example i can think of is the Avon's that are #2 rated on tirerack for the snow...THEY HAVEN'T BEEN OUT LONG ENOUGH FOR ANYONE TO DRIVE IN THE SNOW...SO HOW CAN THEY BE #2 RATED IN THE SNOW!!! yes, i also realize that none of the UHPAS tires are going to be great in the snow...but some of this is just common sense...

anyway, if you don't drive in the snow, i'd buy the nero's...

·
Volkswagen Addict
123 Posts
BlueMartian said:

I had 205/40/17 Kumho Ecsta 711s and 712s on my other car. My major common problem I found with the Kumhos is that after having these tires on for a while, they would get large bubbles in the side walls (Which would blow out unannounced). They also had a habit of wearing out quickly on my car too. I'm going to give a set one last chance on the Beetle, so I'm hoping the next set last me.

·
Lurker
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The whole package came out to $535 with installation/valves/balancing ($10 per tire), certificate for free replacement ($17 per tire), disposal fee ($2 per tire) and tax. I'm glad I opted to spend a few extra bucks on the certificates for free replacement warranty after reading n2vdubz comments.

·
2.0L 5 Speed - MT
25 Posts
I bought a set of Kumho 716 HP4 Solus Tires (205 55 R16 89H 360/A/A) to replace my bubbled & sidewall cracked OEM Eagle RSAs, I've only driven the Kumhos for 1000 miles or so, but they stick to the road a lot better, and are more comfortable. So far I'm very pleased with them.

Anyway from what I've read at the tirerack and other websites it would appear that the OEM Eagle RSAs are somewhat bad, so I guess the ECSTA ASXs you bought will definitely perform a lot better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts