NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently bought my first car, a lemon-yellow 2005 New Beetle (not convertible) with around 70k miles on it. From the research I've done, it sounds like getting the water pump and timing belt replaced, and the transmission serviced, would all be good things to get done ASAP. Is there anything else you can think of that would be good for me to get done?

Thanks,
Malcolm

·
5/23/10 <3
10,997 Posts
What engine?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Before you start, remove the small coolant hose from the back of the coolant filler bottle and verify that coolant flows out of it when the engine is run. If not, you will need to determine why when the cooling system is drained. Either the coolant pump is bad or the line is plugged, usually at the end where the fitting is on the head.

While the cooling system is drained:

The o-ring between the oil cooler and the engine block. Gets stiff and causes oil leaks.

The heater hoses plus the plastic fittings at the firewall. The plastic in the fittings crumbles when it gets old.

Other:

The dipstick funnel. Gets old and crumbles.

Consider replacing the engine speed sensor which is near the oil filter. Will be very easy to do with the oil cooler removed and is a common failure item that causes sudden stalling. Only Bosch brand parts are known to work reliably for replacement.

If you replace the radiator hoses you need to be very gentle about tugging on the radiator to remove them. The plastic radiator tank is prone to cracking. Best to remove the plastic connectors from the radiator using penetrating oil and careful prying rather than trying to remove the hose ends.

·
Bugabu
62 Posts
the cabin air filter or any filter that can be replaced...often overlooked or just neglected. At least then you start a log for future replacement dates. I replaced my upper and lower control arms all new bushings,struts and rear shocks,brakes and decided to replace all wheel 4 bearings.
Any preventative maintenance you do yourself can't hurt. My 05 Cruiser I beat up up for work everyday just turned 218k miles on it
(I'm an elevator mechanic and practice what I preach everyday on the equipment I service.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts