NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a New Beetle. I like to have a TDI but I found this: Volkswagen New Beetle, 2.0, 1999
Is this a good offer or wold you be scared by all the new replacement parts? Timing belt was not replaced. I guess you recommend doing so. I think, I could do that on my own.

Thanks

Alex

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
I think the '99 2.0 is the most reliable of any of the New Beetles. No turbo, which adds a lot of complication. No immobilizer, so a lot less key/no-start issues. No '98 quirks, since '98 was right in the transition from Mk3 to Mk4 on the chassis platform. Still has the throttle cable, so no drive-by-wire.

The timing belt, water pump and thermostat are most definitely overdue if they haven't been replaced. You don't want to drive very far before those are done. Timing belt failure can destroy the engine on the New Beetles.

Also, check over everything electrical on the car: power windows, door locks, operation of the door latch (http://newbeetle.org/forums/questio...ms-new-beetle/59654-door-latch-resources.html), exterior lights, dash lights. These can all point to more serious issues. Switches with notable reliability problems are: ignition, headlight, turn signal (check while using cruise control), HVAC fan speed and every one on either door panel.

Scan the engine for codes (preferably with a VW-specific scanner to get the manufacturer codes, not just the generic).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your good answer.
What you like, worries me most with the 99. No cruise control and the throttle cable makes it impossible to retrofit a cruise control. No immobilizer raises insurrance.
Do all 1999 have ABS?

After having exchanged the TB etc, would you use this car to drive 800 miles within 1-2 days occasionally or would expect it to break down?

·
5/23/10 <3
11,172 Posts
Pretty sure there were '99's with cruise control. Mine didn't have it, but I had a GL model (base trim...I had manual windows!). Hubby's '95 Passat had cruise control.

I don't think any NB didn't have ABS. I know my '99 did.

I had my car for 6 1/2 years and it was a great car. I drove it from MD->NC and visa versa a number of times with no problems (300 miles one way). Maintenance is key though. It needs to be kept up with 100%.

·
Dubbed Spiderman
2,830 Posts
My 98 has cruise but no ABS. Those are all options. I've put over 100k on my car in 4 years & currently have 193k with minimal issues the whole time. Good luck on finding the right Beetle for you.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
My '99 has cruise control so they are definitely around. As far as I know they all have ABS.

The cruise control is actuated by the throttle body. So I believe that the parts that are different between cruise and non-cruise are the throttle body, the turn signal stalk, the wiring harness and possibly the ECU. I've added aftermarket cruise on another car with a throttle cable. It worked OK, especially for flatter terrain.

My car has been reliable. I wouldn't think too much about taking it on 800 mile trips. You just have to keep up with the maintenance and keep a watch for problems before they get too bad. Usually the people who have big problems are the ones who have continued to ignore warning signs until it is too late.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You could come to Nashville and get my '99 GLS TDI silver 5 spd. Grey interior

Haven't had the timing belt done but have a deluxe timing belt kit w/ metal impeller water pump, all rollers and studs etc. Would go with the car.

Good newer Michelin tires - 80%+ tread - on alloy wheels. Just had an alignment last Friday 3/15.
Doing new inner CV joints and front wheel bearings next weekend.
New Battery, New Alternator within ~45 days.

The speakers are crap, but I'll put 4 brand new speakers in it for you. Missing blank button on dash next to hazard light button. Driver seat bolster is torn through but both front seats have clean seat covers. seat foam on all seats is good.

Just took a road trip to Chicago, 43MPG @ 80-85MPH.

clean INDIANA title, in hand. Has been a TN car as long as I know of. Owner before me was in TN and I bought it as I moved here. Zero rust.

196k miles. $3900 cash and carry

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
You could come to Nashville and get my '99 GLS TDI silver 5 spd. Grey interior

Haven't had the timing belt done but have a deluxe timing belt kit w/ metal impeller water pump, all rollers and studs etc. Would go with the car.

Good newer Michelin tires - 80%+ tread - on alloy wheels. Just had an alignment last Friday 3/15.
Doing new inner CV joints and front wheel bearings next weekend.
New Battery, New Alternator within ~45 days.

The speakers are crap, but I'll put 4 brand new speakers in it for you. Missing blank button on dash next to hazard light button. Driver seat bolster is torn through but both front seats have clean seat covers. seat foam on all seats is good.

Just took a road trip to Chicago, 43MPG @ 80-85MPH.

clean INDIANA title, in hand. Has been a TN car as long as I know of. Owner before me was in TN and I bought it as I moved here. Zero rust.

196k miles. $3900 cash and carry
If only I could quickly sell my '98 Base Umi Red 5-spd... I'd buy a bus ticket and take you up on this...

Unfortunately, I'm a few months away from doing such. Here's to hoping the job I've been temping at these past few months hires me on so I can make some real money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
good offer

Or you could come to TEXAS and get my 2003 Electric blue newbeetle, 1.8T, 190k miles on it. $4000 cash-carry clear title on hand. LOL :p

·
AbsentbebniM
145 Posts
Or you could come to TEXAS and get my 2003 Electric blue newbeetle, 1.8T, 190k miles on it. $4000 cash-carry clear title on hand. LOL :p
Good point. And I actually have friends in TX, so it'd be a good excuse to visit them.

Either way, I know I'm going to have quite a few options when I replace the current NB (fingers crossed for this summer... contingent upon getting hired on). She runs well, but I'd rather not spend my time repairing unknowns that keep coming up and use that time/effort/$ to attend some GTGs and just outright enjoy owning my dream car.

Sent using Synapse

1 - 12 of 12 Posts