NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my GF's 03 Beetle Cabrio is need of an all around brake job. I started pricing rotors and pads today and man they'
re so many brands and options out there, and a lot at the same price. I'm not sure whats good and what isn't. What are you ... the beetle community running on yours and do you recommend it?

So far I'm leaning towards Zimmerman solid rotors from my local euro parts shop, but I was also offered Raybestos (cheap) and Bendix. As for the pads I've been given prices on...

Febi Bilstein
Akebono Euro
Textar
Padgid
Bendix
mintex
PBR
Bosch
TRW

We don't want cheap parts, but something that will last awhile.:cool:

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
i use ebc greens on mine. keeps the brake dust down.

-jd

·
Keep It Real
1,734 Posts
You will need to decide what is important to you:

1. The best braking performance.
2. Lowest brake dust.
3. Appearance.
4. Price.

Personally I couldn't care less about brake dust because it's stopping performance that is #1 one my list, if one washes/cleans their car and wheels at least two times a month (very reasonable) then brake dust becomes a non-issue anyway.

mr_mk4, any of the brake pads that you listed are fine for the average driver in a car with stock engine power, a set of slotted Power Slot rotors might be a good avenue for improved performance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You will need to decide what is important to you:

1. The best braking performance.
2. Lowest brake dust.
3. Appearance.
4. Price.

Personally I couldn't care less about brake dust because it's stopping performance that is #1 one my list, if one washes/cleans their car and wheels at least two times a month (very reasonable) then brake dust becomes a non-issue anyway.

mr_mk4, any of the brake pads that you listed are fine for the average driver in a car with stock engine power, a set of slotted Power Slot rotors might be a good avenue for improved performance.
Thanks for the info. Brake dust isn't really an issue, its longevity and quiet braking.

·
Older but not Wiser
1,015 Posts
heh...

i just wanted to clarify that i dont use EBC's just because of the brake dust control. i was hoping everyone kinda *knew* they were sport pads and meant for performance while ALSO keeping the brake dust down. AND they are the cheaper of the ones i compared.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
This is what I am running, I am very happy with this set up.

Not sure what the quality comment on the Amazon review is about, quality is good to excellent, no pulsation, vibration, low dust, stops well, slots do not seem to make a lot of noise during hard stops.

Overall I could not be happier.

Make sure you follow the brake bedding procedure as these are ceramic pads.

Amazon.com: Power Stop K899 Front/Rear Ceramic Brake Pad and Cross Drilled/Slotted Combo Rotor One-Click Brake Kit: Automotive

Although I did find some rear rotors for under $10 each, I do not cheap out on stopping as you only get one chance to stop typically!

·
Registered
950 Posts
I'm going back to the OEM with the brake job I'm doing this weekend.

Price from the local dealership for OEM rotors and pads ended up being less than an online purchase due to shipping costs for the heavy rotors being relatively high.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts