NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
beep beep!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember the old VW commercial where they sang "Ridin' along in my GTI"? I can pinpoint that as the moment I fell in love. I think I was in junior high.

I finally got my first GTI in 1997. It was a black 1986 8V and I loved it SO much. Lightly modded, LOTS of fun. Next car was a red 1992 GTI which I am about to sell... because I bought a 2000 GLS Beetle last weekend.

So, I've been driving (basically) the same car for almost ten years. As excited and happy I am with my Bug, I know I'm going to miss the GTI. There is something to be said for the way it feels... how it drives... it's why people are GTI devotees. Someday I may get another GTI, we'll see. For now, I have to give her it's last detail and put the "FOR SALE" sign up.

Anyone else go from a markII GTI to a Bug? What were your experiences?

·
big poster turned lurker.
9,487 Posts
You can think of the beetle as a round Gti. Seriously, it's a mark4 vw, so it's got alotta the same components underneath with the mark4 Gti.

But to go from mk2 to mk4, your prolly gonna like the added safety of abs and airbags and whatnot. But it probably wont feel the same. The mk4 is alot heavier than the mk1/2's and it really shows in the corners.

Well anyways, i probably know oone thing, your not gonna keep it stock ;)

·
beep beep!
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have noticed it's quite a bit heavier... but then again, I appreciate that it's SO much safer. When I bought the Bug I discovered that some of my friends were calling my GTI "the deathtrap" secretly! LOL meanies. Nevertheless, the Bug is quicker than I expected. As for keeping it stock... we'll see. Depends on the wallet. :p

When I was buying my Bug, this couple walked into the dealership to buy their SECOND R32 GTI... bastards. They were going to pay CASH too. If I had pockets that deep, pimpin' the Bug would be a totally different story ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts