NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey dudes and dudettes,

I ordered an almost-top-of-the-line Beetle 2.5 months ago. It has Xenon headlights, sunroof, and it's the first and only Beetle in Turkey to have the Fender sound system. (Nobody wanted to wait 2-3 months for a special order, so nobody got it with extras.) It has a 1.4 160PS engine with DSG transmission. It's perfect.

I received the car yesterday, just before the dealer closed, and drove the 5 kilometers (~3 miles) home. I snapped a few pictures before I got in the house.

Today, I took the car out for a spin around the Bosphorus, and I meant to take nicer pics for you guys... I drove only 650 meters (0.4 miles) and BAM!

Well... f*ck.

:(

·
Worry less, drive more
4,270 Posts
Ouch! How's the motorcyclist? As much as it sucks to crash a brand new car, it could have been worse. Looks like 2 body panels need replaced? Amazing that your tire and wheel look seemingly untouched. Your Beetle experience can only get better!!!:jumpy:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He had a bruised leg. But he was taken by the ambulance before the police arrived, and some other dude came later and claimed that he was the driver and the guy that was taken off in the ambulance was the passenger behind him (there were two people on the bike), so it got complicated and I spent the better half of the day at the police station. :(

Besides the obvious on the surface, when we removed the taillight, we saw that an extension that seemed to come off from the chassis was also quite bent and had almost broken off. The tire also has some shaved and pierced parts, when you look closely, so it will definitely have to change.

HOWEVER, the car feels really strong. Bystanders were also amazed how good the car held up and how good the build looks, some even said that "they wouldn't have guessed them to be that good". I guess it was an opportunity to show them that our Beetle's are beautiful on the inside as well. :D

·
Super Moderator
Cup- 2k New Beetle GLS/ 'Chino- 13 Beetle 2.5
20,854 Posts
OH NO!
Thankfully, you're okay. That stinks bud, really stinks. Looks like she can be saved though. To wait all that time, to finally get such a sweet car and then THAT happens... frustrating does not begin to describe the gambit of feelings. looks like she'll live again- choice body work and panel replacement and you'll be back in the game.

Please keep us posed on the prognosis and progress.

Hope you get back on the road soon.

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
YIKES! :calvin: I feel your pain! It happened to me when I bought my very first "New" car. Went to the bank to make a deposit for work and I didn't even leave the parking lot when another car cut me off and took half the front end with her.
I was between Super Angry and being in tears. Not a good combination.

Well, I am glad you are okay and that your Great Looking Beetle can be saved. It's amazing how much damage such a little scooter can make. They must have been going pretty fast to plow into your car like that. I have been to Istanbul on business and you couldn't pay me to drive on those streets. Those people are maniacs worse than the Germans ;) Actually Germans are pretty decent drivers as are Swiss and Belgians.
Another country I hate to drive in is France. I drove into Paris once and it was total Chaos.

I wish they would offer the 1.4 Turbo here in the states but they don't give us half the engine or car choices that Europeans have. I just got a 2012 Late Launch Edition with HID Headlights/Led Running lights and the 19 inch Tornado wheels and 2.0 Tsi engine. That puppy moves very smooth compared to my old 2000 1.8turbo

I wish you luck and I hope you get your car back soon! I hope those idiots on the Scooter will pay for your damages.

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, even when they depict a bad bang up. I hope you'll share a batch of yours once you get it back on the street!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys :)

I will of course make them pay for the damages... They might even learn to drive carefully if they have to pay twice the cost of their vehicle of choice to fix someone elses car.

I have also driven the 105PS 1.2 engine Beetle before. That's a great engine too, especially if you choose the S mode rather than the D mode, but the 1.4 engine is great even in D mode. I just can't imagine how it'll drive in S. :)

And @IndyTom, you're right about Istanbul. The city is beautiful, but the people... not so much. Getting a drivers license is really easy here, so everybody has one. (Scooter drivers don't even bother getting one.)

I'll take the reports to the dealer tomorrow, so they can get started with their own paperwork. I hope they can give me an ETA on the repair.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Ohmygosh! What a shame! :(

I hope you get your beautiful Beetle back to you soon. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you.

I finally went to the shop to see what the damage is. 2 parts are definitely going to be replaced, a 3rd might also need to change.

I was correct to assume that the bar that seemed bent was coming off from the chassis, so they'll do some extensive tests to see if there's anything wrong with the drive.

At best, it'll cost about $3000 (paid by the bike driver, obviously) and I'll get my car next Friday. If there is something wrong with the chassis and if they don't have any of the parts available, it'll cost a lot more and I'll wait a lot longer.

I'll keep you all updated. And thanks for the support. You guys are awesome. :)

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Ouch!

So sorry for your car but VERY glad you walked away from that with no bodily harm.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks again :)

I finally got my car back! I've been driving it around for the past couple of days. I'm in love. :)

15 parts changed in total, ranging from the right tail light to the tire pressure sensor.

I can't help but grin every time I see the car! :D

·
Registered
191 Posts
Dang that sucked! I am paranoid driving and parking a new car. Glad to hear you got it fixed and back in possession and having fun.

·
Super Moderator
14,783 Posts
Watch out for rogue bikers! :lol:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts