NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alrighty, i got a 2.0l right now, its in the shop right now cause some dude in a truck thought it would be funny to play "drunk driver" with me, anyways, i have a few basic questions for anybody who has done this,

1st: since gas is going sky high right now, what kind for mpg do you guys get with the vr6, is the jetta lighter than the nb?

2nd: how did you guys figure out the cluster? i know form the little research ive done is that the nb ecu dosent really link up all that well with the vr6 wiring, and the tach won't go either? is it possible to keep the oem gauge cluster... i don't really want to tear up the dash:)

3rd: how much better in whp is the vr6 compared to the 2.0, i havent really come across any specs on basic hp outputs on the vr6...im not in this to build a speed machine, just a little more power, and form what i understand, putting on mods to the 2.0 comes to be about the same price as a vr6?

4th: and i guess the last one would be, did you guys do the work yourselfs, can a newbie such as myself pull this kinda thing off, or should i find a shop? and if so, what kind of shop do you guys recommend i guess, like a speed shop, i live out in beaverton, or...and if anybody knows somebody who can give a run down on pricing, that'll be great:)

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Ok, for a VR6 swap, depending on where you get it done can range from $4500 - $8000.

If you're just looking for a bit more power, get a Neuspeed Supercharger. Adds 60% more horsepower, and you can buy it for $2000 and it might run $350 - $500 to get it put in.

http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=53|NB&type=11&ltype=ns_euro&p_id=619

This would be more reliable than a VR6, and cost a lot less as well, as you wouldn't have to screw around with ECU's, etc.

The supercharged 2.0L could produce 160-ish horsepower, while the VR6 produces 174.

Not a lot of difference, especially since you're only looking for 'a bit more power'

Hope this helps!

SMG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so the vr6 is not that much better than a supercharged 2.0 eh? well stock anyways, ok, so another question is that i heard and read tons of debate on a supercharged 2.0 is not/is a good thing to do... i guess that all depends on the setup and how much i push/boost the engine right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just keep in mind if you decide to respond to this is that the goal is to have a pretty reliable daily driver...i dont want to kill the engine, or have it come back to nip me in butt in the long run...just a quicker

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Well, I think an engine swap would be way flakier.

Anyway, what I would do if I was you, and I have researched all of this and these are the best parts:

- Upsolute chip +9HP
- Neuspeed Intake +8HP
- Cat-back exhaust +?HP

These mods would easily would get you to 135HP, whatever amount those first two claims are inflated by their respective companies, the exhaust should make up for that.\

Now, by adding a Neuspeed camshaft: http://www.neuspeed.com/products/product_details.asp?app=53|NB&type=11&ltype=ns_euro&p_id=44

They say you can get an extra 10 from the cam, so couple that with some other small stupid mod that gives you 5HP, and you could pull 150. The same as a stock 1.8T :)

That's what I'm planning on doing in the Spring anyway :)

SMG

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good deal, what about the reliablity? the intake and the exhaust i was going to do pretty soon, soon as i get the car back from the shop...i havent done much research on the chip yet...im not to sure if i want to bother with it...dont you have to send your ecu and renders your car usless till you get it back right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, that sucks...im gonna look up some more info on that camshaft, i would imagine that would have to be put in by a pro? well somebody who at least knows what they are doing. and i don't know that much about chipping anyways, so i got a little more studying to do i guess...
if i can ask you another question, what exactly would chipping do? it would just change all the oem settings right? adjust for the mas, and just have it rev higher right? and what about fuel, would chippin kill gas?

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
Upsolute Chiptuning: http://www.upsolute.com/eng/index.html

Select your car, and you'll discover that it actually improves gas mileage by 2MPG highway, and 1MPG city.

But, the kicker is, you have to run 91 octane gas, but it even out with the fuel savings.

I did some calculations and the chip will actually pay for itself after 13 years ;)

So, just breaking even would be fine for me :)

SMG

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Time for a little shameless plug

To anyone who may be interested in actually doing the VR6 swap, I have a complete engine, ecu, cluster, and ALL the wiring out of a 2001 Jetta GLX for $1,000. It has 29,839 miles on it. Its located in KY, so if you're interested you could come look at it. Unfortunately, I'm mechanically challenged, so I'm not looking to remove it from the car myself. I plan on letting the entire hull of the car (or what remains of it) go with the engine.

·
Retired Car Whore
7,047 Posts
Severecaraddict said:
To anyone who may be interested in actually doing the VR6 swap, I have a complete engine, ecu, cluster, and ALL the wiring out of a 2001 Jetta GLX for $1,000. It has 29,839 miles on it. Its located in KY, so if you're interested you could come look at it. Unfortunately, I'm mechanically challenged, so I'm not looking to remove it from the car myself. I plan on letting the entire hull of the car (or what remains of it) go with the engine.

SOLD! And it is going to be transplanted into a NB!:D

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had a 2.0 in my car at first, had the P-chip , Borla Exhaust, custom made CAI Plugs wires, even the adjustable Cam gear and did some teweaking there, dynoed 102 whp, and it was still a slow pig.

2.0 is a wrthless platform in my opinoon, FI or not, and who ever said that a neuspeed charger on a 2.0 is just as good as a stock Vr6 is nuts....

Even when my motor was still stock in the bug, I walked all over stock 1.8t GTIs etc. and the torque is the most important part. 2.0 SC'd has no where near 200 foot ponds of torque like a Vr6...

not bashing, just food for thought from someone who went that road already:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
sorry SMG , not in here much

yes did it all myself. Was a ford tech for 5 years, now I run my own VW Audi shop Eurojet Racing

Swap took me 2 weeks

I got the engine trans, axles, ecu harness interior and motor, shift box, suspension knuckles etc. everything I needed for 2400$ dont expect to EVER find a 24v for that much now, they are rare, you couldnt buy my 02M 6spd for that much now a days ;)

If anyone ever has serious swap Q's just email me

[email protected]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts