VW Beetle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys... I have a 2002 TS. Yesterday i was running my car and suddenly i heard a weird sound on the motor... something like metal breaking, just like when u cut with an electric saw... I open the hood and look that my motor was almost falling from the passenger side, i took out the timming belt cover and saw the problem... i though it was the motor mount but no... Its the part that the motor mount holds... the bolt breaks right flush to the motor block. My question is, what causes this? for fixing it, do i have to take the whole motor out and drill out the rest of the bolt? what bolt you guys recommend for this?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,811 Posts
Yikes! :eek:

I'm no mechanic. If you think you can do it yourself, great.

If you think you need help, find a reputable independant VW shop in your area. They will do you right.

Good luck. I hope it's not too bad! :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well... im not doing it by myself... i just want to know how the work should be done and why happened. hehe but yea... it looks bad

·
Registered
712 Posts
Motor mount bolts are TTY bolts and one time use. They are known to fail on the MKIV platform about 10-20k miles after a timing belt change if the were not replaced. It is also recommended to replace the mount every second timing belt because the aluminum threads start to strip leading to a failure. TtY bolts stretch and must be replaced every time. Most but not all VW's use them in almost all engine and dynamic rotating components. Good timing belt kits will have new bolts. Good clutch kits will have new bolts. Good axle kits will have new bolts. Doggone bolts. Tranny bolts. Struts. Shocks. All these are one time TTY. Buy them at dealer or online vendors such as ecstuning. Dealer prices are usually the same plus no shipping and in stock.

·
Gustav
349 Posts
The remaining bolt will need to be removed from the block and the block may need to be tapped to a larger thread size depending on the bolt removal method. Many factors could have caused this to happen. The bolt could have been weak/ wrong type of steel for the job or the wrong torque specs could have been used when last installing that bolt. But with not seeing it in person these are my best two guesses for the failure. It could I fact be many different things from driving habits to neglect.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had my tty bolts fail less than 1,500 miles. The transmission was rebuilt and the timing was serviced but the mount was not replaced and the rubber inside the transmission mount cracked and allowed far too much movement causing one bolt to snap and the other to strip. Dropped my newly rebuilt transmission to the ground while driving. My secondary air intake was snapped from its mount and is free balling and shooting codes, takes my car forever to heat up. I'm wondering if this happened before and the air intake mount broke when the mount failed and crushed it... so I'm looking into stronger mounts. Polyurethane seems to be the way to go no? But all I can find in a set is for an jetta mk4. Sucker looks identical to what I need but they all say it won't fit. But they also say auto and manual mounts differ... and they don't in my case. Anyone know if a jetta mk4 mount is the same as a 2000 new beetle mount?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
They should be the same.

This is how that happens. The bolts are single use or commonly called TTY or torque to yield bolts. They should be replaced with new bolts every time they are removed.

When the mechanic removed the motor mount he just loosened the bolts and took them out, likewise when he put them back in (reusing the same bolts) he likely used the first bolt to draw the transmission into place. The bolts are steel the mounts and mount threads are aluminum. One of the bolts stripped the threads as it was used to draw the engine/transmission into place the other bolt probably compromised its threads also so now your engine is being held by one used bolt with questionable threads.

He should have raised the engine / transmission so the engine was supported on a jack or engine lift so there is no weight on the motor mount. At that point you remove the mount bolts. Again for reassembly raise the engine into place and with new bolts insert them into the mount and screw them almost all the way in with your fingers. You’ll only need a wrench on the final two to three turns of those bolts.

This would be the fault of the transmission rebuilder. Improper removal and reassembly and reuse of TTY bolt, and even if he did use new bolts he didn’t use the proper method of installation.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If you use a stiffer mount you will feel more engine vibration in your car. A stiffer mount will not necessarily last longer. You just need to make sure whoever installs those mount(s) does it right. New bolts and support the engine completely during installation of those mounts.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had my tty bolts fail less than 1,500 miles. The transmission was rebuilt and the timing was serviced but the mount was not replaced and the rubber inside the transmission mount cracked and allowed far too much movement causing one bolt to snap and the other to strip. Dropped my newly rebuilt transmission to the ground while driving. My secondary air intake was snapped from its mount and is free balling and shooting codes, takes my car forever to heat up. I'm wondering if this happened before and the air intake mount broke when the mount failed and crushed it... so I'm looking into stronger mounts. Polyurethane seems to be the way to go no? But all I can find in a set is for an jetta mk4. Sucker looks identical to what I need but they all say it won't fit. But they also say auto and manual mounts differ... and they don't in my case. Anyone know if a jetta mk4 mount is the same as a 2000 new beetle mount?
WHAT THE…?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts