NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!
I'm new to the site but on my 2nd New Beetle.
I've just picked up a year 2000 2.0L and it runs ok but has a bit of work to do inside....things missing, not working, worn out etc so I'm going to need some ideas and pointers for sites and to people or shops that can help.
Initially the problems I have are...
-Both cigarette lighters not working.
-The wing mirror adjuster knob has been snapped off.
-A few interior lights aren't working.
-The arm rest hinge is snapped so slides off.
-All the cup holders have cracks in them.
-The dash and window sills seems to be perishing
-I need a replacement VW stereo and areal
So that's just the cosmetic stuff.
Any ideas which forum threads to start on or sites etc?
I'd like to mod it up to look smart inside so any ideas or help would be gratefully received.
Ry

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Welcome aboard. I have many the same issues you do as to superficial repairs needed, ie, power outlets, snapped off side mirror controller, etc. It's slow but enjoyable work revitalizing a NB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's just a pain because mine is 2000 when you search for New Beetle 2000 I think it sounds like a special edition rather than the year?
Going to try and do most of it myself so hopefully the forum will be really valuable!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot to add the electric sunroof works but the slider that you move by hand seems to be jamming?????

·
Registered
11,824 Posts
Lots of things to fix; many are so typical of VW interior plastics breaking! I can contribute about some aftermarket repair kits that can save you some dough; it is made by a third party but seems to be a well made fix for the console lid breaking. This kit retrofits; a new add on fingers for the lid and they are built to last. Other beetles, jettas etc.; that I have worked on, have had broken hinges... very common problem!

*Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Hinges

Price: $25.00
SKU: AAR-ARK-1

*Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Hinges - AARodriguez Corp.

Another item that breaks all the time on the lid; is the lid latch. The original VW part is fragile; it gets brittle over time and breaks. This guy remade the part in a more durable plastic that is supposed to hold up to everyday abuse.

*Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Latch - Black

Price: $15.00
SKU: AAR-AL-B

*Lifetime Warranty* Armrest Lid Latch - Black - AARodriguez Corp.

There are also other colors on the website; beige, gray etc.
I haven't bought any of these yet but when my console parts break; I will. The thing is; if you just replace the parts with new VW original versions... they are just going to break again at some point. The hope of these is a superior solution; that will hold up to real world usage. If anyone else has bought and installed these; please chime in with your experiences. (I am not connected to the above company in any way).

The lights and cigarette problems; most of the time are fuses, bulbs burn out etc.

Here is a diagram of the typical fuse location diagram:

http://newbeetle.org/forums/questions-issues-concerns-problems-new-beetle/31634-fuse-box-translation-card.html

Some of the other items; you just need to buy replacements for (e.g. mirror switch, cup holders, etc.) On the original VW stereo; you might check out a junk yard, ebay or have the original one serviced by a stock stereo repair shop. Google: "vw head unit repair" and "vw car stereo repair". The good thing about having it serviced; they many times, replace the parts that typically fail with better/improved parts over what came in the original unit. If you get a used or replacement VW head unit; you are most likely going to have the same failures again at some point. Good luck with the repairs and welcome! :)

·
Super Moderator
14,718 Posts
I can help with the cupholders:

Get one of these! :D

Attachments

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Dnyed.....

YES!!! Do tell:)
How/where do you pickup one of those???

thx girl :D

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
Hey Billymade,
Thanks for the LATCH info. My latch is broken too :(

:D

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
A warm welcome to the greatest Beetle ORG on the web. We love photos, so, I hope you'll share a batch of yours!

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts

·
T.O.D.7 Will U be there?
869 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts