NewBeetle.org Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who aren't up to date with my job situation, here is a quick run down.

After 5 rounds of layoffs at Goodrich, where I was a Avionics Tech II, I got hit on #6 in Aug '03.

Decided it was time for College, and I started my track towards a Electrical Engineering degree.

The wife supported us until this past summer. Time to get a part time job to bring in some extra money. I applied at Michaels, the arts and crafts store, and was hired as a Custom Framer. This was July 23rd.

As of today, Sept 23rd, I was offered a job as the Senior Games Assistant at the same college I attend, Olympic College. What does my job entail? Not anything you would guess, unless you know me pretty well.

My duties as a Sr Game Asst. is to take photo's of the athletic events! So, technically, I am a Pro photographer now, right?

Sure it'll only be 10 hours a month, but still...I am getting paid to shoot photo's! Yeah!

Sorry for such a long post, I am pretty happy that I am making a bit of money doing something I love!

:D

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
jdesigns said:
For those who aren't up to date with my job situation, here is a quick run down.

After 5 rounds of layoffs at Goodrich, where I was a Avionics Tech II, I got hit on #6 in Aug '03.

Decided it was time for College, and I started my track towards a Electrical Engineering degree.

The wife supported us until this past summer. Time to get a part time job to bring in some extra money. I applied at Michaels, the arts and crafts store, and was hired as a Custom Framer. This was July 23rd.

As of today, Sept 23rd, I was offered a job as the Senior Games Assistant at the same college I attend, Olympic College. What does my job entail? Not anything you would guess, unless you know me pretty well.

My duties as a Sr Game Asst. is to take photo's of the athletic events! So, technically, I am a Pro photographer now, right?

Sure it'll only be 10 hours a month, but still...I am getting paid to shoot photo's! Yeah!

Sorry for such a long post, I am pretty happy that I am making a bit of money doing something I love!

Thats awesome! Congrats! It's always cool to get paid to do the things we like to do! I got paid once to paint all these funny characters on the side of a camper. I had so much fun that I barely even noticed that I just about broke even with buying paint and paint brushes and thinner and all that. I think after they paid me (200 dollars) I walked away with about 35! :biglaugh: but I didn't care. The fun that I had doing it was well worth it! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
jdesigns said:
So, technically, I am a Pro photographer now, right?
Absolutely! Since the very definition of the word professional is getting paid.
And it sounds like an awesome job to boot!
:goodjob:

Congrats! I'm envious... though I know you've had a hard road to hoe to get there (which, admittedly, I'm not so envious of at the moment :cool: )

·
Super Moderator
14,714 Posts
So glad to hear you got your foot in the door! It's all downhill from here!!! :p

Congratulations, and have fun!

·
Write it like it's hot!
2,556 Posts
Way cool

Don't belittle it----you are a paid photographer now.

Re-vamp your portfolio, press-kit and send out press releases to all the local newspapers and weeklies!

The little plant will grow if you feed it quickly and often.

:)

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is one of the great things about the Org........everyone is so supportive! Thank you very much!

I am in the process of re-doing my portfolio. I almost have a full HALF page resume now! :roflmao: If this keeps up, I may have a full resume in another year or two! :bigthumb:

Now, if I can only talk the Director of Athletics to increase my hours to about 80 a month, I can quit my custom framing job.......That would be cool!

·
Just because!
3,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I thought I might share a shot that I took for the job last week. I decided to obscure the players faces and numbers to make sure they can't be identifed.

Keep in mind that I am not a Sports Illustrated photog, so I don't yet own one of those Bazooka sized lenses. :D

Attachments

·
<-----No More Beetle :(
18,312 Posts
NICE!! :goodjob:

·
33 &#8531;
15,621 Posts
jdesigns said:

A Public Congrats, man! you deserve happiness!

·
Registered
271 Posts
jdesigns, if you run into Mike Reese (he is one of the coaches at Olympic)tell him his uncle John said Hi and that Im taking donations for my NB TDI Larger the better.
:)

·
RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
2,063 Posts
jdesigns said:

Cool man! Its great to have a job thats also a passion.

·
Premium Member
3,650 Posts
Awesome photo and congrats on the new and very exciting job that will make you famous among those who follow the players you photograph!

·
Everett Street in May
3,204 Posts
Excellent news Justin..:bigthumb: Glad to hear you are getting a shot at something that you really love/enjoy..

You'd be amazed at where a path started in a passion will lead you.

Best of luck sir, keep us posted.....TechnoTrix'd...:wave3:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts